XR 650r Where's the oil goin' ?

9 replies to this topic
  • Rocky XR

Posted December 13, 2007 - 11:56 PM

2 weeks ago I bought a 2000 XRr, took it out to a local OHV park last Sunday and had a great time. It's a mostly hill-climb area so we only put about 45mi. on. Before I left that morning, checked the fluids and noticed the oil was a little low. The guy I bought the bike from said the oil was changed around 150mi. ago, I ended up putting the better part of a quart into it witch put the level at the high mark on the dip stick. After the day's riding, got it home, washed it up and was going to start it to make sure no water was in the pipe, checked the oil and it was not registering on the dip stick at all. Added another 8-10 oz. and it's still not showing. The bike ran great all day last Sun. no smoke, not leaking from anywhere, started fine every time. I won a Honda serv. manual on ebay, but have not recieved it yet so I'm kinda fumblin' in the dark. Any ideas where I should start looking ?

• snaggleXR650

Posted December 14, 2007 - 02:46 AM

The 650R is funny about checking the oil. You must run the engine for a few minutes/take a short ride, stop the motor, then check the oil immediately. You can't check the oil without running the motor first. Overfilling the oil can cause the counter-shaft seal to blow out and leak. Also, check for oil in the airbox as oil can puke out the breather hose from the case to the airbox.

• scalejockey

Posted December 14, 2007 - 05:57 AM

ya their a real pain in the arse. With the dry sump system the oil drains back down into the motor.

• Rocky XR

Posted December 14, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Thank you gentlemen, I'll check the air box first. If it blew the counter shaft seal, where would I see that oil ?

• scalejockey

Posted December 14, 2007 - 12:04 PM

yer left boot:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 14, 2007 - 12:12 PM

Thank you gentlemen, I'll check the air box first. If it blew the counter shaft seal, where would I see that oil ?

If it blew you would know. It doesn't just leak a little when that seal blows. It splooges everywhere.

Do the proper oil check method and take a lot of readings so you will know what is going on oil wise.

• Troy_Bell

Posted December 14, 2007 - 01:55 PM

As mentioned, you must ALWAYS run the bike first. Without running it, it will always show a low reading. Furthermore, you need to let it eun much longer than the manual says to get an accurate reading. Let it warm up good.

• cleonard

Posted December 14, 2007 - 02:29 PM

As mentioned, you must ALWAYS run the bike first. Without running it, it will always show a low reading. Furthermore, you need to let it eun much longer than the manual says to get an accurate reading. Let it warm up good.

+1 on that. The only way I ever get a really true reading is to check it when I pull up to the truck at the end of a ride. Even if I let it idle for ten minutes, it reads low if I start it cold.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 14, 2007 - 05:51 PM

+1 on that. The only way I ever get a really true reading is to check it when I pull up to the truck at the end of a ride. Even if I let it idle for ten minutes, it reads low if I start it cold.

+1: Warming up isn't enough. Checking at the end of a ride is best.

• Rocky XR

Posted December 18, 2007 - 12:11 PM

Got it. Thanks fella's. Found no oil in the left case cover and the air box was also dry. I think I'm gonna just dump the oil and filter and start over with fresh, that way I'll know where I'm at.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.