looking for a drawing for YZ timing

4 replies to this topic
  • XC800.X

Posted April 03, 2002 - 02:58 AM

Awhile back I remember seeing an exellent drawing showing YZ timing but now I can't find it.I've tried the tech section and the search but no luck yet.Can anyone tell me how to find it?

• beached1

Posted April 03, 2002 - 05:27 AM

I don't have it here at work but I can e-mail it to ya later tonight. Basically if If I remember right, the "e" points should be lined up with the bottom of the valve cover and your piston @ TDC. Then just make sure you count 12 pins between each cam for YZ and 13 for WR timing respectively. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beached1

Posted April 03, 2002 - 08:27 PM

Ok dude, all I could find was an old may 00 Dirtbike article on how to change a WR to YZ timing.
It states,
Step 1: Remove the top valve cover and exhaust cam tower.
Step 2: Put the engine at TDC (I mark on the magneto) and chack tp see that the marks on both cam chain and sprokets are pointing up.
Step 3: Remove cam chain tensioner.
Step 4: There should be 13 chain pins between the two cams,counting from the top mark on one sproket to the mark on the other. When you are finished there should be only 12 cahin pins.
Step 5: Lift the exaust cam up and rotate the cam clockwise one tooth.
Step 6: Count the links again. The magic number is 12.
Step 7: put it all back together-your shop manual is a great help-and go riding.

• tmgolden

Posted April 03, 2002 - 09:05 PM

WR Timed:

Link to WR Stock Timing Graphic

YZ Timed:

Link to WR YZ Timing Graphic

Let me know if this helps.

• Taffy

Posted April 03, 2002 - 10:55 PM

draw all the dots and letters before you modify. nothing ever lines up likr the manuals. by the time you've moved the camchain around you won't remember whether that 'E' should be a bit above the cylinder head or below.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.