D.I.D. VT chain master link rivit

44 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 13, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Alright I'm a dummy:bonk: I messed up the rivit on my new chain. The question is will another DID o ring chain master link work? I guess I will have to order another master link for this VT chain. Thats the problem with these specalized T,X, O ring chains

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 13, 2007 - 06:42 PM

I guess any D.I.D. ZJ rivet master link will work. Anybody know where I can get one? Quick?

• DPW

Posted December 13, 2007 - 07:14 PM

try the local dealer? Both Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky distribute DID chains

• todds924

Posted December 14, 2007 - 08:50 PM

Alright I'm a dummy:bonk: I messed up the rivit on my new chain. The question is will another DID o ring chain master link work? I guess I will have to order another master link for this VT chain. Thats the problem with these specalized T,X, O ring chains

I take it you werent using the proper rivit/press tool? Remember that the master link for that chain is a NARROW!!!

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 15, 2007 - 11:53 AM

I take it you werent using the proper rivit/press tool? Remember that the master link for that chain is a NARROW!!!

I was using a motion pro which is the proper tool. I believe I used to much pressure. Anyone have experience in riveting these master links?

• mxracer007n98

Posted December 15, 2007 - 01:32 PM

tell me what chain again ?

• DPW

Posted December 15, 2007 - 01:35 PM

I was using a motion pro which is the proper tool. I believe I used to much pressure. Anyone have experience in riveting these master links?

I use the RK tool...pretty easy to use..

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 15, 2007 - 06:04 PM

tell me what chain again ?

D.I.D. VT enduro Racing Chain

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:15 AM

Get the link that is exactly for that chain. using the wrong master link can be dangerous.

• DPW

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:11 PM

What makes you think you applied to much pressure?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Can you add links safely with the tool you mentioned. For example if the chain was too short?

• todds924

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I use the RK tool...pretty easy to use..

+2 on the RK tool! Your talking about the one with the interchangeable press plates and the rivit pin?

• todds924

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:15 PM

Can you add links safely with the tool you mentioned. For example if the chain was too short?

Sure, you can if you have to....just remember that you need to use a rivit link to join them.

• todds924

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hey Wes, how did you use to much pressure? With the motion pro tool? You press the plate on then flare the pin ends. Do you mean that you pressed the plate on to far and bound up that link of the chain or you flared the ends of the pins to much and cracked them????????? If you pressed the plate on to far you can just use a flat blade screwdriver and pop the plate off and press it on again............If you cracked the ends of the link pins.....your gonna need a new link.

• DPW

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:02 PM

+2 on the RK tool! Your talking about the one with the interchangeable press plates and the rivit pin?

yes, does it all...

http://us.st11.yimg...._1980_106771901

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:06 PM

What makes you think you applied to much pressure?

I heard a snap and then when I looked there was a crack in the rivet hole itself. Does anybody know how much torque or pressure it takes to swedge the holes? I beginning to think that it doesn't take much pressure.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Hey Wes, how did you use to much pressure? With the motion pro tool? You press the plate on then flare the pin ends. Do you mean that you pressed the plate on to far and bound up that link of the chain or you flared the ends of the pins to much and cracked them????????? If you pressed the plate on to far you can just use a flat blade screwdriver and pop the plate off and press it on again............If you cracked the ends of the link pins.....your gonna need a new link.

Well to answer you correctly, On my 2006 I pressed the link plate on too tight and bound the chain. I tried to loosen the link with the screwdriver and it worked a little bit. Riding loosened it up. Ended up perfect. On my 08 I got the plate right but applied too much pressure to the pins then cracked them. I want to make darn sure the link won't come off so I tightened it too much. How much pressure does it take to rivet the pins?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Let me add one more thing. I had never used a chain like this and never used a tool like this either. This tool didn't have instructions, so I had to figure it out. Now this will be the third time, and I think I got it.:banghead:

• DPW

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:15 PM

I heard a snap and then when I looked there was a crack in the rivet hole itself. Does anybody know how much torque or pressure it takes to swedge the holes? I beginning to think that it doesn't take much pressure.

Yeah a snap is not good...with the RK Tool there is side plates, upper right hander of pic.. that you use to press on the chain side plate and has a slot that stops at the correct depth, so you can't push it on to far. Also when doing the rivets when you start tightening the bolt on the tool to flare the hole it will go from easy to turn(tighten) to firm..stop when you get to firm. Hope that makes sense.

It's super easy to use if you read the directions....

• nilson

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Maybe this doesnt help you but the DID 520VM X ring I bought with the clip type link looks like it uses O-rings on the links.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.