1st and 2nd gear wheelies?

50 replies to this topic
  • frankiewhipit

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:08 AM

My '99 has an E2 slip on & daves mods, 15-45 gearing & I can power up with a tug in second and ride it through 4th, the bike has plenty of power to to it, it's a matter of finding the "sweet spot". Like i tell my 8 yr old son, practice makes perfect & remember to use the rear brake.

• Motosprtman

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:12 AM

My '99 has an E2 slip on & daves mods, 15-45 gearing & I can power up with a tug in second and ride it through 4th, the bike has plenty of power to to it, it's a matter of finding the "sweet spot". Like i tell my 8 yr old son, practice makes perfect & remember to use the rear brake.

how about 15-48? ...... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

• martinfan30

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:15 AM

I use 15/48. made a noticeable difference.EASY wheelies in 1 and 2 now with the cam. i think i may be down a little on power though compared to some. 4300ft. ele.

• absynth01

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:23 AM

thats cool! i want to get a cam like that.

No you don't. That cam failed in the Catskills. I lost a lot of good 650R and 650L play in the woods!!! The shock of stump jumping, hard rock hill climbs, and other easy shit, corrupted the memory card!!! lost 2hr's of good whipe outs and technical riding BS!!! I will spend a little more on video in the future!

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:33 AM

how about 15-48? ...... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I have my bike set up for street tard duty, when I switch back to the off road set up I run 14/48. Great for off road but to buzzy for the street.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 14, 2007 - 02:36 PM

No you don't. That cam failed in the Catskills. I lost a lot of good 650R and 650L play in the woods!!! The shock of stump jumping, hard rock hill climbs, and other easy shit, corrupted the memory card!!! lost 2hr's of good whipe outs and technical riding BS!!! I will spend a little more on video in the future!

You've got trails in the catskills? You've been holding out on me? Sadist!

Dave

• danny v

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Can one of you tell me what is involved in drilling the slide and for what. Will that make the responce off the bottom faster ( Like a CR 500 ? ) i have a 98
xr 600 r stock carb,e series pipe with ss header running 6 spacer plates and the spark arrester plate,uni air filter 160 main,65 pilot 14/48 gears street leagel.Is the mod worth the time? Thanks in advance for the info guys
Danny V :banghead:

• absynth01

Posted December 14, 2007 - 09:52 PM

You've got trails in the catskills? You've been holding out on me? Sadist!

Dave

You are in the loop Dave. The Catskills were mostly good road rides. We did find some cool trails, but not many. Many NYC water cops there, and they don't mess around with the new 9/11 laws There was one abandonded ski mountain I do remember......

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 15, 2007 - 07:00 AM

sounds like some of you guys are getting better wheelies outa your L's than i can outa my R.

1st gear is to fast of a jurk upwards to hold anything, in 2nd if i yank on the throttle to much the bike will just bog, (my jetting isant 100% after airbox venting) so i have to only give it a little in 2nd so that it doesnt bog and then stand up and yank back....

I was able to do a 3rd gear (about 40 MPH) wheelie with the rear tire at 18 pounds...but this was before i did the airbox mod.

• Bibleman

Posted December 15, 2007 - 10:23 AM

I think the "L" may be a little more wheelie prone due to it's height and weight distribution. The ultimate wheelie machine was my CR85:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted December 15, 2007 - 03:23 PM

Can one of you tell me what is involved in drilling the slide and for what. Will that make the responce off the bottom faster ( Like a CR 500 ? ) i have a 98
xr 600 r stock carb,e series pipe with ss header running 6 spacer plates and the spark arrester plate,uni air filter 160 main,65 pilot 14/48 gears street leagel.Is the mod worth the time? Thanks in advance for the info guys
Danny V :banghead:

i am not totally sure on the 600R, but on the L all you do is drill the outer holes in the slide with a 5/32" drill bit. it helps with throttle response.

there isnt much that will make it like a cr500 though!

• danny v

Posted December 15, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Are you talking about the response off the botom? You asked me last week and it seems the bog off the bottom is also maybe the first 25% of throttle.
i am still checking it out.The drilling out the slide is that for off the bottom till 1/3 the way up ? :banghead:

• Murman NT

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:33 PM

I run Dyno Jet, Drilled slide with a stock pipe, and I have to chuck my ass back to get her to come up in 2nd. 1st powers up easily

• martinfan30

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:59 PM

Are you talking about the response off the botom? You asked me last week and it seems the bog off the bottom is also maybe the first 25% of throttle.
i am still checking it out.The drilling out the slide is that for off the bottom till 1/3 the way up ? :banghead:

i noticed a slight better response at all throttle openings after drilling.

• Rman of 237

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:03 PM

I run Dyno Jet, Drilled slide with a stock pipe, and I have to chuck my ass back to get her to come up in 2nd. 1st powers up easily

Huh? You're missing something dude!!:banghead:

• Murman NT

Posted December 17, 2007 - 10:27 PM

Huh? You're missing something dude!!:banghead:

Wha? What am I missing? Sprockets? I switch based on the day. Pipe? Need to be as quiet as possible. I have young kids and hate to walk down the drive.

• Rman of 237

Posted December 18, 2007 - 04:58 AM

Wha? What am I missing? Sprockets? I switch based on the day. Pipe? Need to be as quiet as possible. I have young kids and hate to walk down the drive.

I don't know what you're missing but somethings not right. With the mods you mentioned, even with a stock pipe you should get a better 2nd gear wheelie response IMHO.:busted: My 650L will wheelie effortlessly(2nd) with a simple crack of the throttle with no physical work whatsoever. I have to sit forward to keep it on the ground and I'm not just blowing smoke here as some commonly do on these forums to exaggerate their bike's performance. OK, I'm a kinda small guy for this bike at 5'7" and 150lbs so that obviously has something to do with it but even with my nephew(125lb) riding 2up I've had a couple of :D moments.:banghead:

R......

• Motosprtman

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:22 AM

supposedly if you use the DJ spring you do not have to drill the slide. I did not and the throttle respsonse is crisp.

• Rman of 237

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:28 AM

supposedly if you use the DJ spring you do not have to drill the slide. I did not and the throttle respsonse is crisp.

Right?? I installed the Dynojet kit and that should eleminate the need to drill the slide...... Right?? I haven't drilled mine. I thought that was a "Daves Mods" Mod.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:34 AM

The DJ spring does not come close to improving the throttle response as much as drilling the slide does.

Not even close.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.