2000 WR400 - Have Street Title and Some Questions.

2 replies to this topic
  • TJames

Posted October 07, 2002 - 09:18 AM

I just purchased a 2000 WR400 in great shape with relatively low miles. It has a street legal title and was registered in NY. My plan is to now register it in NJ and use it 80% of the time offroad and 20% onroad.

My questions are these:
- What would be a good DOT tire that will hold up well offroad. Mostly rocky northeast trails.
- Any suggestions for a good dual-sport kit?
- Does the grey wire mod work on this bike?

Also - Would the stock muffler from my '02 wr250 fit this bike? For no other reason than it's two years newer and the stainless finish would look alot better than the black can that's on there now.

Thanks for your help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted October 07, 2002 - 10:47 AM

I have the same bike, also titled. When purchased it had new Dunlop D606 front and rear. The 606 is an agressive pattern for being street legal and the evaluations are very good. DOT tires are harder rubber, some look good but the preformance on dirt is lacking. I switched to Dunlop 756's and the difference in dirt is substantial. My riding is 100% on trails.

• Talonboy

Posted October 07, 2002 - 02:44 PM

1. Forget about having DOT approved tires, I have been riding on the street with dirt bikes for over 10 years, never had a cop even look at the tires. Just run whatever brand of tire you prefer. I use Dunlop 756 front & rear.

2. Do you really need a dualsport kit? Check your state requirements. If you don't need turnsignals or a brakelight that works with the engine off skip the kit, do it yourself for cheap.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.