throttle sticking a little bit on my YZ450F???

9 replies to this topic
  • trippcobra

Posted December 13, 2007 - 04:17 PM

When I roll off of the throttle, it stays a bit above idle for a second or two. I don't think its in the linkage or actual throttle, is it maybe internal in the carb? any help appreciated. thanks

• soudry

Posted December 13, 2007 - 04:33 PM

same thing here on a 08 yz450...

• reed1

Posted December 13, 2007 - 04:43 PM

All bikes do that when there cold dont they??

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2007 - 05:42 PM

That's called a "hanging idle", and it's caused by a lean condition at closed throttle, and/or an air leak.

Check your bike for a shrunk carb isolator (mount sleeve) (one that will no longer clamp down), or any other source of air leaks.

Attempt to adjust the idle mixture to correct the problem per the manual.

Check the float level.

Check the valve clearances. A hanging idle can be caused by tight intake valves. If you find this condition, and any valve requires a shim more than .10mm thinner than the original, you need a valve job.

• soudry

Posted December 13, 2007 - 06:21 PM

That's called a "hanging idle", and it's caused by a lean condition at closed throttle, and/or an air leak.

Check the valve clearances. A hanging idle can be caused by tight intake valves. If you find this condition, and any valve requires a shim more than .10mm thinner than the original, you need a valve job.

by valve job you mean to adjust them?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2007 - 08:13 PM

No, that would be a valve adjustment. I mean the valves would need to be replaced at that point. You can try to run them longer, but you will most likely find that one or more of the ones that needed the big correction will be ot of spec again after 2 more hours or so.

• reed1

Posted December 13, 2007 - 08:21 PM

No, that would be a valve adjustment. I mean the valves would need to be replaced at that point. You can try to run them longer, but you will most likely find that one or more of the ones that needed the big correction will be ot of spec again after 2 more hours or so.

2 hrs...........i would half to adjust them 3x in a day:excuseme:

• BC3

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Which means your valves are "HIGH TIME PARTS" and you need to replace them.....

• racer 813

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:00 PM

If either of you two are using u4 or the u4.2, it could be that little crystles are forming on the slide and it just needs to be cleaned!

• todds924

Posted December 14, 2007 - 08:40 PM

The only problem you have is like Gray said. A lean condition. Being that these are new bikes the intake boot is not likely the problem. You should be able to correct it by turning out your fuel screw. If you have to go more than 2 1/2 turns, you need a bigger pilot jet. What gray means by needing to replace the valves is that if the clearances are that far off...tight..... then the valves are already "dished" and a valve job will need to be done. This is very common with the CRF's not the YZ's.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.