Possible overheating

2 replies to this topic
  • hunterg

Posted December 13, 2007 - 03:48 PM

I have an 05 WR450 and I think it overheated today. What kind of damage will overheating do to this motor? A friend of mine was riding it today and he just called me and said that there was smoke coming out the bottom of the bike, and that the coolant resevoir under the rear fender was empty and was making a bubbling noise. I told him not to ride it anymore and let me come pick it up tomorrow.

What should I check for? Should I compression test it? I have only checked the compression on my car once and I had to crank the motor over and over with the fuel relay unplugged while holding the throttle wide open. Is this basically the same procedure as the WR? My electric starter is dead, so is there another way to do the compression test?

Thanks for the help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • s00perxt00l

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:45 PM

charge the battery or use another motorcycle battery... thats my solution for that problem
but down to business... yes. same procedure, WOT, let it crank several times

do you have a compression tester???

• s00perxt00l

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:48 PM

oh. and it sounds like you had a gasket go out and coolant leak into the motor or something like that... just running hot wont deplete coolant like that.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.