submerged XR600

11 replies to this topic
  • wheelin

Posted December 13, 2007 - 02:47 PM

My brothers property got flooded in Wash St last week...his 96' XR600 was submerged under 12 feet of muddy river water for 2 days before they could be rescued...I pulled the oil-drain plugs and the thing drained out 5 gallons of water and guck. The air-filter box was one solid block of mud inside.

My question is....because the XR has a hollow-frame which holds the oil, i'm sure its full of mud and there anyway to clean it out?...I thought about pulling the motor out and just running water thru the frame for hours...

Any thoughts?
Posted Image

heres the bathroom in the house
Posted Image

• Navy509

Posted December 13, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Can he just turn it into the insurance company? Do you have anymore flood pictures?

• cleonard

Posted December 13, 2007 - 02:59 PM

The frame tube might not be that bad. The water has a ways to go through the engine before it can get in there.

More important is to get that engine cleaned and dried before the internals get totally ruined by rust.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 13, 2007 - 03:06 PM

Major bummer!

My priority would be getting it running as soon as possible, before anything can rust (any worse).

I'd pull the carb, pull the oil lines, flush all that (but not the motor) with water until clean, then flush with oil, re-assemble, put the cleaned carb back on, and get it running.

I'd get some oil into the engine while its off- oil down the plug hole, crank it quite a bit, oil into the head via the adjuster holes, oil into the crankcase however you can get it there.

After its running, lube all the pivots, steering head etc.

• Coolidge

Posted December 13, 2007 - 03:22 PM

Flush w/Diesel, that may help. Best of luck to your bro.

• wheelin

Posted December 13, 2007 - 03:28 PM

i've got his crf450 stripped now and no room to start dssassembling a 2nd the 660 quad needs completely cleaned too....i'll definetaly add oil to the XR till i can get to it....heres more flood pix
Posted Image
Posted Image
water-line is just above the 5th 2x6
Posted Image
Posted Image
10 inches of mud leftover...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jetfuel

Posted December 13, 2007 - 05:15 PM

Wow that sucks .. being a flood victim in the past I feel your pain.. I would flush the low end with Diesel or kerosene and tear down and relube everything else as others have mentioned ... Don't forget that riding mower .. Mine has been under water four times over the years but its still chugging along. just treat it the same as the bikes .. Good luck , JF

• Slim Shadetree

Posted December 13, 2007 - 07:42 PM

yikes !

• Redlines

Posted December 14, 2007 - 03:26 AM

I bought a XR600 before that fell over in a river and they couldn't get it out for a couple of hours. The whole frame had water in in so I am sure your frame is packed with mud which is going to be hard to get out. Time to strip the bike all the way down when your done with the CRF/Quad
Good luck

• Motosprtman

Posted December 14, 2007 - 08:22 AM

I agree with the flushing with diesel.

• martinfan30

Posted December 14, 2007 - 08:29 AM

this is all great advise. diesel is a good solvent and will do the job well.

saw that mess on the local news. sorry to see it happened to you. good luck!

• gearloos

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:56 PM

That sucks man, For all its worth, We sunk a flatbottom big block boat a few years ago on a windy day and it took overnight until shore patrol and others could help us get it out of 20 + foot water. We tore it down mildly.. cleaned then oiled everything THEN cleaned the stuff that didnt need oil the carb etc... I guess it was ok as the boat ran for like 5 years after till we sold it.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.