Headlight Wire Harness Repair

10 replies to this topic
  • Dust_Devil

Posted December 13, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Somehow my headlight wires broke in half, they broke off right at the connector, so I had to do a little more than just splice the wires together, I had to recycle the pin connectors. There was also some rub wear on other wires behind the number plate.

Posted Image

Use a small flatblade to remove the pin from the connector housing, be careful, these are not the type of thing you can buy at radio shack.

Posted Image

Use the flatblade to carefully bend the tabs holding the plug to the pin.

Posted Image

Leave about 3/8ths of an inch of wire attached to the pin and strip the insulation off, slide plug onto the new wire and attach the new wire to the pin.

Posted Image

Solder the new wire to the pin.

Posted Image

Slide the plug up to the pin, and reform tabs to hold plug, finesse is key here, dont trash anything.

Posted Image

Ok, here is the first layer of shrink wrap, it is the standard Polyolefin type, it stays flexible after shrinking, I will apply a second layer of PVC Shrink wrap to provide some durability and to prevent the new wires from twisting off at the connector.

Posted Image

One wire down one to go.

Posted Image

Ready to splice onto the main harness.

Posted Image

A couple other wires had insulation that had been compromised, I shrink wrapped them with the red shrinkwrap, you need to pull the wires from the connector housing, slide the rubber plug down the wire, then apply shrinkwrap. Shrinkwrap is much cleaner and more functional than black tape.

Posted Image

Splice the repaired connector and wires to the main harness, use solder to join the wires, shrinkwrap the individual wires then wrap the entire thing.

Posted Image

• dezracerE

Posted December 13, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Double D
that almost happened to me on the starter button wires- caught it in time- solder and shrink wrap only.
Why do you run the light anyway- as a just in case for a long ride?

• Dust_Devil

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Double D
that almost happened to me on the starter button wires- caught it in time- solder and shrink wrap only.
Why do you run the light anyway- as a just in case for a long ride?

Yeah, just in case, we all know the stock light is a just getcha home type of thing, not really effective for night riding.

• ds66

Posted December 14, 2007 - 09:28 PM

:busted: that deserves some gas, great work..:banghead:

• Dust_Devil

Posted October 09, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Update... Repair failed!! ( after many many miles :D )

Im going to remove the stock connector, and replace with a different connector.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted October 09, 2008 - 10:38 AM

I can't vouch for the stock connecter... as i use these types for lighting (and ditch the stocker day one);

Posted Image

... in a worse case scenario, and you need more than 2 wire, you can use a flat 4 trailer connector. They work great, and are durable enough for dirt-bike abuse. I'll even take the wiring back down to "under the tank" area... splice in something of a little better guage and run it back up to the triple clamp area with a better connection method or something more durable for those "critical" wires.

I've had stock, and aftermarket companies (baja designs - dual purpose kit) wiring fail... and have learned too many times the hard way.

BTW DD... great little how-to. :D All but the TC sticker in the background. :worthy:

• Dust_Devil

Posted October 09, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Where can I get a connector like that?

The Radio shack here just went tit's up.....

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted October 09, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Where can I get a connector like that?

The Radio shack here just went tit's up.....

Damn Radio Hack.... the one down my street is carcassed, and I asked; "why are all the shelves so bare?" ... the gentleman stocking and moving stuff said, "we move things from store to store... items go to the store they are selling at" .... How dumb is that? I needed something in the BARE section!!

... I can't stand Radio Hack, but they do in a pinch.

TRY... Kragen, AutoZone, Pep-Boy type places. I know sometimes my Kragen has it all. But I also have one of those Warehouse type Kragens near. They've got near everything I need (as long as they don't ask; "what year is the vehicle? :D ) ..... :worthy:

• Dust_Devil

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Kragen and AUtozone here, I will look. That connector you posted looks perfect.

• Dust_Devil

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:17 PM

Score!!

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted October 10, 2008 - 05:43 AM

Glad to hear!!! With your heat-shrink talent... that thing should be good as new in no time.

... I LOVE heat shrink!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CRF450X JD Jetting issues by Sparkydave

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

First time racer! by OwenDennis

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2007 450x front and rear suspension questions by dale450x2007

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

450X Graphic Kits by OwenDennis

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 19 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF450X 2015 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF450X 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.