Anyone using a Michelin S12 for the desert?

10 replies to this topic
  • TucsonYZ450

Posted December 13, 2007 - 06:56 AM

This tire looks a lot like a 756. Has anyone had any luck using this tire in the desert?

• mike train

Posted December 13, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I have a Michelin S12 on my YZ450. After 40 hours and about 1000 miles around Show Low, it needs to be taken off. The top surface of the center and middle rows are worn parallel to ground contact now, increasing the tendancy to slide out on corners. Some knobs are cracked, but few have broken off. The tire's resistance to slide out at speed was very good until just recently.

The Michelin has the middle row of knobs rotated 45 degrees, the 756 does not. Knob height and rubber compound might be different, too. But both have large open area. In my opinion the only compromise with the Michelin S12 here is the wear rate.

• Wiz636

Posted December 13, 2007 - 12:08 PM

The S-12 is my favorite tire (front and rear) for just about all types of riding. They actually wear very well, especially for a soft terrain tire, the knobs will hold their edge longer than any tire I've used but in rocky conditions they will chunk.

I have used 756's quite a bit and they will wear out much faster than the S-12. IMO the 756 is an overrated tire...they are awesome when brand new but the knobs round off so quickly that they can no longer offer the traction even though they are not worn down.

• bleetham

Posted December 13, 2007 - 12:43 PM

I went from a 756 to an S-12 about 25 hours ago on my 06 450. It's still in great shape and has sharp edges. The 756 was only good for about 6 hours of track time, then it started to lose it edges. When fresh, they seemed pretty equal in traction and cornering grip. Some of the tracks I race on are really sandy, so it would probably work pretty good in the dessert. It might chunk if it's really rocky but I don't know that from experience.

• TucsonYZ450

Posted December 13, 2007 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for your info. I just mounted one on my front and will let you know how it works. Happy trails...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smokin529

Posted December 13, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I have run S-12's on my YZ450 with okay results. After a couple of 2-1/2 hr races the side knobs tore off the front but the rear held up fine. I switched to the M-12 on the front and ran the S-12 on the back with good results. I still prefer the 756's.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2007 - 06:29 AM

The S12 is actually intended as a mud tire, and Michelin states that they don't do well in in rocks. In Michelins, the MS3 is probably a better choice for the desert.

• XRYoda

Posted December 14, 2007 - 06:20 PM

hey guys, try the maxxis IS and report back...

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2007 - 10:28 PM

Personally, I have tried the IT. In my always ever so humble opinion...

They suck. Traction is marginal within a narrow range of soils, poor outside of that, and they don't wear well at all. Not in the least like the IT rears, which are pretty good. If you mean Maxxis SI, they are said to be somewhat better.

• XRYoda

Posted December 15, 2007 - 06:12 AM

I stand corrected. it is the SI, not the IS. And yes, it is MUCH better than the IT. It was developed as Maxxix's GNCC premium race tire, and is incredible. Tire life is pretty good, but has good traction even when worn. I have converted all of my buddies. I am going to the desert with it today, even it was developed for the woods. It will not last longer than the IT. I have not tried the front, though I hear it is pretty good. It grips as good or getter than the S12 in straight up and down traction, but has excellent side grip. Velcro magic!

Yoda'

• 99raptor

Posted December 15, 2007 - 07:57 AM

s 12 here and i love it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.