Which chain for my 07 YZ450f

11 replies to this topic
  • HMMRDWN

Posted December 12, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Which chain should I buy?

I have 2 choices that I am willing to buy in a combo with sprockets.

Renthal R1 Works and DID ERT 2.

I know that there are better chains than these out there but these are my 2 choices.

• rmzRacer293

Posted December 12, 2007 - 03:12 PM

R1 is a good chain but i had to adjust it a lot on my 250f so on a 450 i think it might not be strong enough..... but who knows?
I havent used the ERT 2 but have only heard good things about it. :banghead:

• BergArabia

Posted December 13, 2007 - 09:37 PM

there is another thread right here that could be useful.
I use a DID xring and it has worked for more than 100 hrs.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:50 AM

Which chain should I buy?

I have 2 choices that I am willing to buy in a combo with sprockets.

Renthal R1 Works and DID ERT 2.

I know that there are better chains than these out there but these are my 2 choices.

D.I.D. 520 VT "T" Ring

• Ga426owner

Posted December 30, 2007 - 09:08 AM

I use the ERT2 chain. It works great for me

• Slinkyman16

Posted December 30, 2007 - 03:18 PM

ive always have had good luck with d.i.d chains.. i just picked up the ert2 for christmas and planning on throwing it on for this weeks ride. ill let u know how it holds up to the 450.. i have the original ert on my 02 426. its been on there for 4 years and it just now in needed of adjustment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzfmerf

Posted December 30, 2007 - 04:53 PM

How are you guys running running chains so long? I thought you ere supposed to replace them when you changed sprockets? I want to try out the Protaper sprockets and go a little smaller and dont know if i really should replace the chain. It definitely does not seem to be stretching and the teeth on the countershaft sprocket look pretty good, just the aluminum Renthal starting to show signs of wear.

• Slinkyman16

Posted December 30, 2007 - 06:58 PM

your soposed to change the sprockets with every new chain. but im a college student that dosnt have that much spare cash. so i only replace the sprockets if they show wear or if the teeth are starting to get curved. i take pretty good care of my chains and sprockets to get the most out of them. i clean/lube after every ride, and adjust. no matter how long it was. and i also clean all the lube off the sprockets to keep the grooves clean.

• albertaguy

Posted December 31, 2007 - 07:30 AM

After running c500's for years you learn to appreciate the value of a quality chain, don't go cheap. I have ran renthal and d.i.d.'s top oring chains and both are solid. On my 450's after initial stretch/breakin I don't seem to ever have to toch them. I have never owned my 450's for more than 2 seasons so never wore out a set of sprockets but I attribute that to running a good chain and having it properly adjusted (see lots of guys running too tight). I have a whole box of stock 520 chains that have never seen a days ride.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 31, 2007 - 12:22 PM

I have a whole box of stock 520 chains that have never seen a days ride.

Aint that the truth! Me too!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 31, 2007 - 01:17 PM

your soposed to change the sprockets with every new chain. but im a college student that dosnt have that much spare cash. so i only replace the sprockets if they show wear or if the teeth are starting to get curved. i take pretty good care of my chains and sprockets to get the most out of them. i clean/lube after every ride, and adjust. no matter how long it was. and i also clean all the lube off the sprockets to keep the grooves clean.

great question....I have yet to fully wear out any rear Ironman SS sprocket. I am close on my 470 but she still has plenty of material on each tooth....I have had this sprocket and chain over 2.5 years....and that is why I only use these period end :banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 31, 2007 - 01:49 PM

great question....I have yet to fully wear out any rear Ironman SS sprocket. I am close on my 470 but she still has plenty of material on each tooth....I have had this sprocket and chain over 2.5 years....and that is why I only use these period end :banghead:

Yeah I am trying the twinring from renthal right now and so far I like it. I will tell you that I loved my Ironman Sprocket too. Never showed any wear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.