Shock spring paint job

33 replies to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted December 12, 2007 - 09:40 AM

Want to remove the stock silver and make it black.
No problem around sandblasting but dont know what type colour would hold up to constant vibration.
Considering powder coating.

• todds924

Posted December 12, 2007 - 07:03 PM

Want to remove the stock silver and make it black.
No problem around sandblasting but dont know what type colour would hold up to constant vibration.
Considering powder coating.

Powdercoat it.

• John407

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:52 PM

I spray painted mine white a couple of years ago. It's held up really well.

• 5valve

Posted January 03, 2008 - 01:30 PM

Decided to get it chromed.
first remove paint with paint remover chemical, then polish the metal and last chrome with electro chemic procedure.
Hope price will work out and dont expect mirror finish, just close to old mirror finish.

• mike_dean

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Painted mine with Rust Oleum yellow and has held for 4 yrs, not even a chip.
Posted Image

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 03, 2008 - 11:20 PM

Painted mine with Rust Oleum yellow and has held for 4 yrs, not even a chip.
Posted Image

Dude, I dont wanna bust your chops, but I cant hold back. I can see like 10 chips in the pic.:busted: At least I am assuming you didnt paint those small silver areas in it. It does look good though. I'm sorry man, I just had to say something. I am just having fun bud. :banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:48 AM

Geez just don't paint it pink please.......:banghead:
Chrome eh? Now that is a new one.....FLASHY
I would think that any paint would chip....so if I was diehard that the color must be changed ... powdercoating would be my preference it is more resilient........Good thing it does not matter to me

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 04, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Has anyone here chromed a spring before? How would it hold up? Is chrome flexible? I would think that it would start chipping and flaking off almost immediately.

• mike_dean

Posted January 04, 2008 - 02:35 PM

Thats why I put that pic up, because you can see the chips all around the bottom, I think all paint will chip, maybe not powder coating. Sorry I was being a little sarcastic with the pic. Mike

• nap__kxf

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:25 PM

actual chrome with break off the first time it compresses. its a really hard metal, it won't flex.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:15 PM

Show bike & car springs are chromed all the time. Eventually, most of them will crack and flake, but not for a long time. Off-road springs do lead a somewhat harsher life, obviously.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:24 PM

Thats why I put that pic up, because you can see the chips all around the bottom, I think all paint will chip, maybe not powder coating. Sorry I was being a little sarcastic with the pic. Mike

I am actually quite impressed and a little jealous I didnt think of it before. I was just funnin' with ya. I hope I didnt offend you. :banghead:

• 5valve

Posted January 05, 2008 - 02:51 AM

Know chrome is hard.
must consider there are chromed springs used in suspension industry.
Posted Image
Problem is removing old paint, sticks in every possible hole, and wheres paint, no chrome would attach.
So brushing awaits.
Will get a direct opinion in the shop, since spring compresses deep and alot.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2008 - 09:54 AM

If you just hand the spring to the chrome shop, they'll get the paint off it, believe me.

• 5valve

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:27 AM

With acid dipping?
Heard it doesnt melt the artificial materials, but ll give'em a call now.

• mike_dean

Posted January 05, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Black and Blue, Sometimes I don't come across right on the internet or in person for that matter, some people tell me I have a negative dry sense of humor. No offense taken. Mike

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:32 PM

With acid dipping?
Heard it doesnt melt the artificial materials, but ll give'em a call now.

If they have a problem getting anything off the part, they'll let you know. They won't apply chrome to anything but metal that's been "pickled" clean. But you also need to discuss what grade of luster you want. Show grade chrome requires the base metal to be polished bright to begin with before the copper goes on (copper, then nickel, then chrome). You may not want all three layers, and you may not want too much polishing (metal removed from) on the spring.

• 5valve

Posted January 07, 2008 - 01:53 PM

Called today, they expect me to clean the material, otherwise complicated procedures of cleaning, brushing, polishing. Expensive also.
So did it with rotary soft brush, than middle and finaly high grade sand paper. Will do for me. Dont want a mirror finish, just a bit shiny part that is non-paint rust protected.
Will post pre-after results.

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 07, 2008 - 02:01 PM

Since they expect you to strip it, why not have it dipped in a lye tank? I would think that would completely strip it to bare metal (it does with engine blocks).

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 07, 2008 - 10:54 PM

Black and Blue, Sometimes I don't come across right on the internet or in person for that matter, some people tell me I have a negative dry sense of humor. No offense taken. Mike

Yeah, the net sucks for that. I am glad your cool. I am actually thinking of painting mine black. I hope it looks as good as yours after that much time. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.