What is the life span of an XR650R doing 90% street riding?

21 replies to this topic
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted December 16, 2007 - 11:42 AM

hey guys..i was just wondering if you thought the xr650r would be the right bike for me. im turning 16 but i have been riding for almost7 years and have ridden plenty of race bikes and trail bikes. Im gunna be using this bike to get to school during the week. about a half hour away and then going to blast on some trails during a few weekends here and there. do you think this bike would be the right choice for me?

I use my 650R for school commuting and terrorizing the town, the torque is amazing 0-80 in under 7 seconds....(just a quess)

It's not nearly as good as a 250/450 for tighter trails, but when you get onto the open stuff, it owns. Its amazing to cruise in 5th gear going 50 down a dirt road, look back as you twist on the trottle and watch the rocks being thrown back 50 feet:busted: :banghead: :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tjmiller

Posted December 16, 2007 - 05:39 PM

I bought a 2004 XR650R for pre-running this year's Baja 1000 and I was able to get it plated. It's fun to ride on the street, but is very much an off-road bike. If you are going to do 90% of your riding on the street, you should at least consider the XR650L (you should be able to pick one up much cheaper than an R too). One of the other racers on my team pre-ran this year's 1000 on his XR650L. His bike performed more than adequatly for pre-running and he never felt at a disadvantage. I think in tighter sections, the L would have felt heavier than an R, but I think the ability to carry heavier loads, the air-cooled motor, and the electric start make the L a better choice for a dual-purpose bike. Also, he had his suspension done by precision concepts and I think that helped a lot for off-road. However, if you do want the R, as far as realiability with the XR650R, I think if you just stay on top of the mantainence, it should be just fine. If you get an R, be sure to un-cork it.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.