What is the life span of an XR650R doing 90% street riding?

21 replies to this topic
  • Aurora

Posted December 11, 2007 - 07:29 PM

What is the life span of an XRR doing 80 to 90% street riding?

I am considering buy either a 07 XRR or an old used XRL. Both bike have advantages and disadvantages. As such I'm trying to decide which to buy.

Most of my riding will be commuting on the streets of Arizona, November thru April followed by Minnesota during the summer. I want to ride several hundred miles to finally go off road in Moab or Monument Valley maybe twice a year

The XRR requires oil change every 600 miles.
I am not sure when the oil should be changed on the XRL.

Is there really a huge performance difference to warrant the buying and modifying an XRR vs buy a XRL and slapping a big tank on it?

I would probably lower either bike 1 1/2 inches.

Also I hope to put 40,000+ miles on the bike, say 10,000 a year, without much maintenance on the bike.

Looking for advise.

Thx,

Bob

• Docmarkw

Posted December 11, 2007 - 09:29 PM

If your going to ride mostly on the street then why not buy a bike designed for that. The 650R is a dirt bike which can run on the streets, but in my opinion isn't what this bike does best. I ride the R and have ridden many street miles on it. In my opinion the bike isn't comfortable on the road and maybe thats due to a few things such as offroad tires and suspension set up. The R in my opinion would be a better road bike if it had a 6th gear.

I havn't had the opportunity to ride an L, but they seem to have gained huge popularity and have just about taken over this section of TT. I'm sure your going to hear the L owners tell you how nice these bikes are. If you want to ride 80 - 90 percent offroad the R is the right choice otherwise maybe the L would be your best bet. Good luck with your reserch.

• Suikerland

Posted December 12, 2007 - 05:01 AM

I ride my XRR on the streets (commuting) and also dirt, and also highway, getting to dirt (up to 1 - 2 hours each way).

I love the XRR on the street, it's a lot of fun - just as much fun as my ex-bike, a KTM supermoto. Its a blast to ride in traffic.
In the city it's faster than I need, nice and high - good visibility - goes over kerbs and through construction sites and vacant lots and anywhere I want it to.
Only problem with heavy street use is that it eats the rear tire pretty fast. But I guess that depends on how you ride- on the XRR it's hard to ride "gently".

Maintenance - both the XRL and the XRR are pretty tough bikes with long engine life - I think it really gets down to how disciplined you're going to be about oil and filter changes, and occasional valve checks.

I believe there's quite a big performance difference between the R ald the L, but I haven't ridden the L, you'll have to get that from someone who has ridden both.

• Frank ZX

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:25 AM

I ride a XRL with full FMF exhaust and Hotcams camshaft.I change my oil every 500-600 miles just because it's air cooled.Its as fast as a stock XRR.I ride on the interstate alot too.But on the other hand,I would love to own a XRR.Both bikes are great in my book.

• martinfan30

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:10 AM

i also would like to have an R for offroad. my L is a great commuter with some offroad. if you will do 90 perc. onroad, the L will be more suited. the R for more offroad. you wil be more comfy on an L with all those street hiway miles. you can get good power out of the L with cam, piston, exhaust and intake mods.

• Troy_Bell

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:11 AM

I think you want the L version since you are doing mostly street miles. That motor is a tried and true design, and has been for many years. I had a 650R that was street legal, but as mentioned above, was not all that comfortable and went through rear tires like crazy. The 600 mile oil change on the R is in regards to off-road conditions. I did however change mine every 800-900 miles. I put over 9000 miles on it in 4 years without any issues. I think you would be fine with it as well, but I would lean towards the L.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted December 12, 2007 - 02:26 PM

I know of a guy who put 110,000km or 65,000 miles on a XRR without a rebuild!

• Aurora

Posted December 12, 2007 - 02:43 PM

AWSOME 2005 Honda XR650L street legal dual sport.Over $4000 in extras.2500 total miles.900 miles on engine rebuild. All engine work professionally done by XR's Only w/10.5:1 HRC piston kit,Stainless steel intake valves,big fin head (ported and polished),Mikuni 42mm pumper carb,XR's Only stainless steel oversized header w/Xr's Only competition muffler,K&N airfilter w/filter skin,ProTaper SE handlebars w/XR's Only bar pad,Acerbis brushgaurds,IMS pivot mirror mounts and folding dual sport mirrors,Harri's XR gell grips,Clarke 4.7 gal desert tank w/ XR's Only grafics,XR's Only thermometer dipstick,Corbin seat,Acerbis front disc & fork gaurds,Superbrace fork brace,XR400 front fender,IMS ProPegs,Works Connection frame gaurds,Scotts Performance rear disc gaurd and chain gaurd,Baja Designs skid plate,Dunlop 606 front tire and NEW Pirelli 130/90/18 MT21 rear tire,MSR super heavy duty tubes,XR replica low profile tailight,XR's Only large rear fender tool bag w/tool kit,bungee net,iCat device, JT/Sunstar sprockets (14/47),Perfomance Designs lowering link. Also included are stock tank and wings, stock sprockets and a custom $300 external oil cooler kit.This bike is very fast, has never been layed over and miles are approx 95% street. Very well cared for. 5899.00 OBO

Would this keep up with an XRR on the street? Dirt?

Worth the asking price?

Thx,

Bob

• Frank ZX

Posted December 12, 2007 - 03:34 PM

AWSOME 2005 Honda XR650L street legal dual sport.Over $4000 in extras.2500 total miles.900 miles on engine rebuild. All engine work professionally done by XR's Only w/10.5:1 HRC piston kit,Stainless steel intake valves,big fin head (ported and polished),Mikuni 42mm pumper carb,XR's Only stainless steel oversized header w/Xr's Only competition muffler,K&N airfilter w/filter skin,ProTaper SE handlebars w/XR's Only bar pad,Acerbis brushgaurds,IMS pivot mirror mounts and folding dual sport mirrors,Harri's XR gell grips,Clarke 4.7 gal desert tank w/ XR's Only grafics,XR's Only thermometer dipstick,Corbin seat,Acerbis front disc & fork gaurds,Superbrace fork brace,XR400 front fender,IMS ProPegs,Works Connection frame gaurds,Scotts Performance rear disc gaurd and chain gaurd,Baja Designs skid plate,Dunlop 606 front tire and NEW Pirelli 130/90/18 MT21 rear tire,MSR super heavy duty tubes,XR replica low profile tailight,XR's Only large rear fender tool bag w/tool kit,bungee net,iCat device, JT/Sunstar sprockets (14/47),Perfomance Designs lowering link. Also included are stock tank and wings, stock sprockets and a custom $300 external oil cooler kit.This bike is very fast, has never been layed over and miles are approx 95% street. Very well cared for. 5899.00 OBO

Worth the asking price?

Thx,

Bob

Well,probably to the owner,and to someone than wants the same mods.Unfortunately,you hardly recover from all the money spent on mods.Me personly,I'd love to have it for$4000.00,maybe $4500.00.Just me $0.02

• martinfan30

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Worth the asking price?

Thx,

Bob

it would prob. outrun a stock, uncorked 650R. now if it came across an R with a cam and hi comp piston, probably not.

on the street, i'd give it to that bike in the ad. on dirt, it would do really well considering what has been done to it.

as far as the price, its maybe 900-1000 over priced. considering total miles though, it sounds like a decent $5K bike with all the mods.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted December 13, 2007 - 05:14 AM

The 650R isant comfortable for 200-300 mile days, the seat just busts your ass. As far are performance, the 650R owns the L in every way, the torque from a uncorked 650R is amazing, not to mention its 50 pounds lighter!

I think the only reason the 650R is known not to last as long as the L is because poeple who have the 650R ride it like it wants to be rode...HARD. Im sure the motor on a 650R could do 20-40 thousand. I know 2 brothers from Italy that rode most of the world on 650R's. They claim to do oil changes every 2500 miles, and put around 50K on them before motor work:censored:

600 Mile oil changes is for off-road aggressive riding, i dont change mine till around 1,000. I put 4,000 miles on mine in 5 months this year, and it has been great, only 1 valve check and a few oil changes.

I quess it all depends on how long your trips are gona be, the R owns off-road, and will own on the road in a race, but you may have to take break's often on the R considering its not as comfy, and may viberate more than the L.

• Juxxtin

Posted December 13, 2007 - 06:07 AM

FWIW... I have a friend out west who both commutes and hangs with the sport bikes all the time with his XRR. He has 30k and has had no issues. Gas/Oil and go.

• Coolidge

Posted December 13, 2007 - 08:51 AM

That sounds a little high$. My buddy just picked up a 05 XR650L w/TONS of A/M GOOD parts (desert tank,etc) appx 9000 miles, only $2600.00. There are still some great deals out there....

• rcnutt

Posted December 13, 2007 - 05:14 PM

A better question is why it was rebuilt after only 2500 miles? was it just for performance, Or was it rode hard and put away wet/........Oh , and L stands for ladies. go R and have the seat rebuilt. just my .02

• Motosprtman

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:16 AM

does not! stand for racing and L stand for .... well........... ah....... lanquish at high speed on the highway! yea that's it!

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 14, 2007 - 12:38 PM

does not! stand for racing and L stand for .... well........... ah....... lanquish at high speed on the highway! yea that's it!

I always thought of R as racing and L as luxury

• Motosprtman

Posted December 14, 2007 - 12:55 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm ok!

• Suikerland

Posted December 15, 2007 - 11:51 AM

I don't think comfort is a big problem on the 650R. I changed my seat and bars and it's fine. (Wider seat, not softer). Highway miles on my 650R vs. a 650L - probably not much of a difference.

Part of the decision comes down to what kind of off-road riding you're planning on.
I do a lot of soft sand and dunes, and the weight of the 650R in soft stuff sometimes makes me yearn for a 450. And I believe the 650L is even heavier, so keep that in mind. If you're planning on harder surfaces, or places where weight isn't such a factor, the L is good.
Tight stuff of soft ground, the L might be handful.

An obvious disadvantage of the R is (according to most people) it can't carry much weight on the back. The L has a stronger subframe.

• CRFSCOTT

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:31 AM

hey guys..i was just wondering if you thought the xr650r would be the right bike for me. im turning 16 but i have been riding for almost7 years and have ridden plenty of race bikes and trail bikes. Im gunna be using this bike to get to school during the week. about a half hour away and then going to blast on some trails during a few weekends here and there. do you think this bike would be the right choice for me?

• The Italian Stallion

Posted December 16, 2007 - 11:22 AM

I have not replaced a single thing on my xr650r since new in 01.The thing is just a hammer.And I ride it 95% on the street. And hammer the shit out of it.Once your ass gets used to the seat its no problem. Or you can get a different seat.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.