1986 Xr600 $500???

4 replies to this topic
  • back2XR

Posted December 11, 2007 - 11:43 AM

I have an chance to buy a 1986 xr600 for $500. The bike looks old and beat, but still intact. The kid says it runs good. What are these bikes worth just for my old man to tool around on? Please let me know what to look out for when I look at it, Thankyou.

• Thumpmeister

Posted December 11, 2007 - 01:32 PM

As long as the bike runs, that is a good price. One of these bikes in decent shape can fetch between 1000 and 1500, as long as its in decent running condition, and as long as its not too hard to start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DGXR

Posted December 11, 2007 - 01:32 PM

If it's mechanically sound, that is a good deal, especially if your old man likes big thumpers. They are big and heavy and powerful and very reliable, even if beaten. I'm of the opinion that unless you're a professional racer, appearance should be second to performance. Check the play in the forks, headset bearings, rear wheel bearings & swingarm, etc. Inspect the frame for cracks, especially under the seat and the rear portion of the engine cradle area. Even if it is kinda beat up, $500 is a good deal as long as everything is basically sound. But the saying still applies, buyer beware. If you are serious about it but have some doubts, take it to a local bike shop and they might be able do an overall inspection for $40-50. Good luck.

• Docmarkw

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Give it a ride and see if it shifts into all the gears. If I remember right these older 600's had problems with 2nd gear.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 11, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Here are some basic used bike buying tips:

- Always ask to start the bike cold; try starting it your self, or get the owner to teach you the starting ritual.
- Let the bike warm up for 5 minutes before riding: you are testing for overheating, hanging idle, rough running. Dont 'rumm, rumm' the throttle, let it settle in and idle.
- Shift through all the gears, even if you can't pull them, several times.
- Test the clutch at a gear to high from a stop, to see if it shudders
- Test the wheels for straight running: have a friend tilt the bike up on it's side stand and spin the back and front wheel. -Look for signs of abuse and neglect (broken spokes, bent rim, curved sprocket teeth, etc)

Even if it does run, expect to spend a dozen hours on it making it safe, and reliable to drive away from your garage. Pushing a bike is extremely not fun.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.