Valve Inspection and Clearance Adjustment Limits

2 replies to this topic
  • BBrown626

Posted December 11, 2007 - 07:52 AM

Hi guys.
I am in the process of adjusting my valve clearances by replacing a couple shims. I previously had a shop do it (last year). The tech told me that one of the exhaust clearances was tight and he fixed it. I recognize that shim because it is a 180 rather than a number I can't get at the shop. All the rest are the original shims and therefore my baseline.

So knowing most of my baseline, how do I know when I should stop shimming and address the wearing of the seating surfaces?

The bike is an '04 YZ450F.

Brent

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2007 - 08:57 AM

Since the hard nitride coating on the valve face is so thin (<.001"), almost any wear at the valve face means trouble. If you ever find a valve that needs a shim 0.10 mm smaller than the original, you most likely need a valve job. The giveaway will be when you ride the bike one more time and find that it needs to be reshimmed again afterward.

• BBrown626

Posted December 11, 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Gray.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.