Stock Stator Output

10 replies to this topic
  • mxpanda

Posted December 11, 2007 - 05:42 AM

I searched around for a little bit look to see if anyone new the stock stator output of a 06 YZ450, anyone know? Was looking to add only a LED tail light and rear LED turn signals.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2007 - 06:29 AM

There is no lighting or auxiliary circuit to tap into on the stock stock YZF stator. I do not advise adding anything to the ignition system power circuit under any circumstance. Use a battery, or spring for a Moose stator.

• Vinny2692

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:38 PM

is it possible to run lights off a battery just enough to make it road legal, or atleast somewhat. If so, where can u get them?

• tnl

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:48 PM

is it possible to run lights off a battery just enough to make it road legal, or atleast somewhat. If so, where can u get them?

When you say street legal do you mean just having them operational during a 1 minute legal inspection? If so then yes but it's not worth it IMO. If your looking to be street legal then do it the right way like Gray said.

• yamafreek_hawaii

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:56 PM

I think its a 120w coil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted December 11, 2007 - 08:01 PM

If all you're gonna put on is LED tail light and signals, then battery power will be just fine. Forrest at Wheeling ran LED turn signals constantly for like 2 days at a show, with them being powered only by an 8 cell AA battery pack. LED lights use a very very small amount of amps - around 20 to 40 times less than regular bulbs, and will last a long time on a small battery pack. I am running my LED signals with an AA battery pack.

Now, for a headlight, you will have to use an aftermarket stator such as made by Moose, Electrosport, etc., like Grey said, or have your stocker rewound by Lake and Trail.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2007 - 09:29 PM

I think its a 120w coil

The absolute most you'll see from a rewound or custom made stator for the YZF with a lighting coil is 55w AC.

• mxpanda

Posted December 12, 2007 - 06:05 AM

To fill you guys in with a little more information, all I want is to get a little more use out of my bike. I have been told by another user that has been converting his bike into a supermoto that you do not need to have your bike inspected in Ohio. I will be using my bike for both on road and off, but I want it to look clean and not over come with lights and etc. Right now I really don't see a need for a headlight, just because I doubt that I would ride at night. All I really would want to add is the taillight, rear signals lights a plate and street tires. This brings up another issue. Right now money is tight, due to the fact that I am in college and not working as much. So my next question is does anyone know a good set of street tires that would fit the YZ's stock wheels, as im sure this would be cheaper than buying SM wheels and tires.

• tnl

Posted December 12, 2007 - 02:18 PM

If money is tight then it will pay off to wait till you have some later. Your looking at some bucks to do what you want to do.

• 02YZ426

Posted December 12, 2007 - 06:00 PM

The absolute most you'll see from a rewound or custom made stator for the YZF with a lighting coil is 55w AC.

True, but that will only be with significant RPM. At idle it will barely have enough output to run your headlight dimly.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:29 PM

That's my point. It's a far cry from the statement below, wouldn't you say?

I think its a 120w coil

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.