Baja 1000 XR650L pre-runner report

7 replies to this topic
  • evomx971

Posted December 10, 2007 - 07:57 PM

A group of 4 friends and I decided last year that we wanted to race the Baja 1000. We went down on a guided tour in November '06 to get a feel for the riding. We competed in the latest running in Nov '07, all 1296 miles of it and finished 21st out of 54 in Sportsman over 250cc accomplishing our goal of finishing the race. Unfortunately, one of our riders broke his leg during pre-running and we ended up racing with 4 riders. Three of us rode twice and we were able to get it done. Our race bike was a '06 XR650R.

All my buddies ended up getting used XR650R's in various states of modifications for pre-running. I already had a '94 XR650L and an '07 KTM 300XCW and decided I'd use one of them for pre-running rather than go out and buy another bike. I got some feedback from folks on Thumpertalk and decided to go with my XR650L.

I already had the bike uncorked, regeared, with the FMF Q muffler. Here's a quick list of mods I did in preparation for pre-running my L:

Precision Concepts suspension with heavier fork springs
RSW triple clamps
Scott's steering damper
Renthal fat bar
G2 handguards with Cycra shields
Spider grips
Garmin 60CSX with RAM mount
Horn button rewired for PTT
Utah Cycle skidplate
Fabbed aluminum stator cover guard
Tusk wide footpegs
Clarke 4.7 tank
BRP shark fin
PMB rear rack
Kolpin auxillary fuel tank
PIAA extreme white bulb
Trail Tech MR11 HID lights (one spot/one flood) mounted on the turnsignal ears
Maxxis Desert IT tires

I was pretty nervous that I'd get down there and struggle with such a heavy bike. My pre-running was cut a little short since we had to take my buddy with the broken leg to San Diego in the middle of pre-running, but I did pre-run about 400 miles on the L and couldn't have been happier with it. The only place where the R's where significantly better were deep whoops and top speed on wide open sand roads. My 'L' was topping out around 80mph on the loose surfaces and the 'R's were able to get up around 90mph. I didn't end up needing to run the aux tank, which is good since it makes the handling a bit goofy. The light set up worked great and I actually preferred it over the twin 8" halogen set up we had on the race bike. It worked great in the sand and in the rocks. Plus it was super comfortable for the more wide open sections. I wouldn't want to race it, but for pre-running speeds, she worked great. All the mods I did worked out well. I loaded a few pics of it in my garage.

Evomx971
2007 B1K - 259x

• sportbiker929

Posted December 10, 2007 - 08:58 PM

thats really cool. Good work!!!

• jetfuel

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:07 PM

nice setup ...thanks for the write up.

• goblin127

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thanx for filling us in. Lots of L riders here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brtp4

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:09 PM

Can you show a close-up of the stator guard?

A group of 4 friends and I decided last year that we wanted to race the Baja 1000. We went down on a guided tour in November '06 to get a feel for the riding. We competed in the latest running in Nov '07, all 1296 miles of it and finished 21st out of 54 in Sportsman over 250cc accomplishing our goal of finishing the race. Unfortunately, one of our riders broke his leg during pre-running and we ended up racing with 4 riders. Three of us rode twice and we were able to get it done. Our race bike was a '06 XR650R.

All my buddies ended up getting used XR650R's in various states of modifications for pre-running. I already had a '94 XR650L and an '07 KTM 300XCW and decided I'd use one of them for pre-running rather than go out and buy another bike. I got some feedback from folks on Thumpertalk and decided to go with my XR650L.

I already had the bike uncorked, regeared, with the FMF Q muffler. Here's a quick list of mods I did in preparation for pre-running my L:

Precision Concepts suspension with heavier fork springs
RSW triple clamps
Scott's steering damper
Renthal fat bar
G2 handguards with Cycra shields
Spider grips
Garmin 60CSX with RAM mount
Horn button rewired for PTT
Utah Cycle skidplate
Fabbed aluminum stator cover guard
Tusk wide footpegs
Clarke 4.7 tank
BRP shark fin
PMB rear rack
Kolpin auxillary fuel tank
PIAA extreme white bulb
Trail Tech MR11 HID lights (one spot/one flood) mounted on the turnsignal ears
Maxxis Desert IT tires

I was pretty nervous that I'd get down there and struggle with such a heavy bike. My pre-running was cut a little short since we had to take my buddy with the broken leg to San Diego in the middle of pre-running, but I did pre-run about 400 miles on the L and couldn't have been happier with it. The only place where the R's where significantly better were deep whoops and top speed on wide open sand roads. My 'L' was topping out around 80mph on the loose surfaces and the 'R's were able to get up around 90mph. I didn't end up needing to run the aux tank, which is good since it makes the handling a bit goofy. The light set up worked great and I actually preferred it over the twin 8" halogen set up we had on the race bike. It worked great in the sand and in the rocks. Plus it was super comfortable for the more wide open sections. I wouldn't want to race it, but for pre-running speeds, she worked great. All the mods I did worked out well. I loaded a few pics of it in my garage.

Evomx971
2007 B1K - 259x

• martinfan30

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:15 PM

very nice evomx! glad to see it.:banghead:

• evomx971

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Can you show a close-up of the stator guard?

This isn't a pic of mine but it's where I got the idea. Do a search on 'case saver' or similar and see the whole thread. Mine looks very similar to this only I did mine in 1/8" aluminum and attached with JB Weld. This one is a little thinner stainless attached with epoxy. There's probably a market out there if someone would crank these things out. The contour on that case was a bit tricky to work with using as thick of alum as I was. I must run my shifter quite a bit higher than this guy does. If my bike would go down and the shifter would get pushed up as far as it will go before getting pushed into the case, it would still just barely hit unprotected cover. I'm not 100% safe with this fix, but better than nothing.

Posted Image

• Brtp4

Posted December 11, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Thanks. I agree, be nice if someone made these. Funny, I saw a guard on the SRC website and ordered it Sunday. Monday AM they emailed me back and said is was no longer available (take it off the site guys....).

I will probably try to fab something over the winter, hopefully it won't be a hack job.

BP

This isn't a pic of mine but it's where I got the idea. Do a search on 'case saver' or similar and see the whole thread. Mine looks very similar to this only I did mine in 1/8" aluminum and attached with JB Weld. This one is a little thinner stainless attached with epoxy. There's probably a market out there if someone would crank these things out. The contour on that case was a bit tricky to work with using as thick of alum as I was. I must run my shifter quite a bit higher than this guy does. If my bike would go down and the shifter would get pushed up as far as it will go before getting pushed into the case, it would still just barely hit unprotected cover. I'm not 100% safe with this fix, but better than nothing.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.