Yz450f Aluminum VS Steel

14 replies to this topic
  • powerthirstypsyco

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hey I am getting a Yz450f and want to know how much difference there is between 03-05 and 06+? As far as reliability how much skill does it take to handle the different models? Is there much of a diff in the engine?

• KJ790

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:58 PM

The engine was redesigned for the 06 models, but all of the YZ450 engines are incredibly reliable. The biggest difference with the new engine is that the oil tank is build into the engine cases rather than being external as it was on older models. The aluminum framed 450s handle much better than the steel framed ones, as the steel framed 450s tended to feel front heavy and wanted to stand up while taking corners. All in all, a steel framed YZ450 is still a great bike.

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 10, 2007 - 07:32 PM

The '03-'05 steelies have a 4 speed transmission....first is too tall and fourth is too short. That alone would steer me to the '06-'08

• yz_for_me

Posted December 10, 2007 - 08:43 PM

If it's in your budget definately the '06 and newer is the way to go. All the Yami 450's have legendary reliability and any of them would be more than adequate for the vast majority of riders. In general, the engine on the 450 has gotten smoother every year since the '03. They make more power than ever, but the newer years are deceptively fast because the power is so smooth - almost electric feeling. Still, the aluminum frame bikes are a significant improvement (especially in handling and suspension) over the previous generation and if you can find one in budget I would go that route. Figure on 4k+ for most '06's although I've seen them as low as $3500. Keep your eye open. The price on '06's is coming down. You can find '03 to '05 models under 3k all day long.

• BergArabia

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Roger that on the old steel ones being great bikes.
My 05 is rock solid but I do notice it is harder to turn than my alu frame bike..
Could be the paddle tire has something to do with that also though.. :banghead:

• dirt101

Posted December 11, 2007 - 01:12 PM

man I thought it was just me. I rode a steel framed yz450(my first 450 experience) and I couldnt get it to turn. I ride a ktm 200xc which is known for being very flickable, so the 450 was a real hassle for me. It was also VERY tiring, and I felt slow, but I had lots of fun. maybe I just felt slow becuase its so smooth. it goes exactly as fast as you want it to and gets way more traction than my 200 but im only running a 100 on it so its not fair.

I would try to get one of the newer aluminum framed ones, because the older one is kinda a pain in the corners. but they are both good,

• trailxrider

Posted December 19, 2007 - 05:29 PM

get a alluminum frame.. i went from a steel frame to the alluminum and it made a big difference in handling

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted December 19, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Roger that on the old steel ones being great bikes.
My 05 is rock solid but I do notice it is harder to turn than my alu frame bike..
Could be the paddle tire has something to do with that also though.. :banghead:

but your aluminum framed bike is a honda, kind of comparing apples and oranges on that one.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 20, 2007 - 07:36 AM

The 03 -05s are "real mens bikes"....tons of power, hit and over rev and not so great suspension and handling. They are taller and feel heavier....if you ride fast and don't crash you are a hero...but at the cost of wearing you completely out

the 06 -08s are "cheater bikes", they are so much easier to ride fast on even women and children(teenagers) can handle them....the suspension is so much better as well as the handling. They are a lot smoother to operate at speed for longer periods of time

Both have bulletproof motors and all of them can be made better with several mods:thumbsup:

• usmcpaul

Posted December 20, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I posted the exact same question 3 months ago. I ended up getting a great deal on a brand new 05.

I absolutely love it! The amount of money I saved made it even better. It has plenty of power and and handles great. If you can find a nice 'steel' bike I would not hesitate to buy it. I paid $3750 for my new 05, and have no regrets.

Yamahas are great bikes!

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Without meaning to burst anyone's bubble, I paid $3800 in September for my most recent '06, a bike that had been ridden twice, and still had OEM tires and chain on it. I like the steel bikes, I like my '03, and you can go fast on them, no doubt. The '06 is much better, though.

• usmcpaul

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:58 PM

No bubbles bursted here. I found the best deal I could at the time. I am sure there are better deals out there, I just couldn't find it.

The advice grayracer gives is good, but he seems to be a far more advanced rider than me and will probably benefit from the advantages of the 05 to 06. For me the '05 VS. 06 savings' advantage was not worth it. The best deal I could find on a new 06 was about $5200.

Used bikes are just that... used; I see some people that take excellent care of their gear and those who don't, but they all seem to 'think' they take great care of them.

• greymatter23

Posted December 20, 2007 - 07:08 PM

i have an 05 yz450 and i have no probs with the steel frame nor the 4 speed tranny the bike is extremely reliable and has loads of power

• kristylynn9598

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:49 AM

the 06 -08s are "cheater bikes", they are so much easier to ride fast on even women and children(teenagers) can handle them....the suspension is so much better as well as the handling. They are a lot smoother to operate at speed for longer periods of time

Well, if the 2008 is cheatin' I am a woman and a cheater, but I got mine because it looked pretty. I love it in white. I never rode the "Man only version" :D :D If there is such a thing :busted:

But I will say I can ride the 08 just fine. It doesn't rip my arms off. It does pull the front wheel up pretty easy. I love when I pass guys and pull the front wheel up on demand regardless of gear. Just looks cool to pass someone doing a wheelie. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2007 - 08:51 AM

... I got mine because it looked pretty.

I'm glad I didn't say that. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.