08 YZ450F Please Help

10 replies to this topic
  • bnyfe

Posted December 10, 2007 - 05:31 PM

Ok...I get right to the point. I need your help.

This is my first four stroke and until this year I have had no interest in a four stroke. What tools do I need? What Parts do I need? How often should I change the oil? What should I look out for?

How different will this thing handle than my yz252 stroke. What are the things I can expect to be different when I ride this baby. I ride with a lot of fast and smart riders. Many of them switched years ago from their 250 smokes to 450s. Nearly everyone got hurt and went to a 250F instead. They all think I won't do well on the 450 either. Please help me prove them wrong!

Thanks for your patience with me. I am compulsive about doing things the right way. Why figure it all out the hard way when there are so many experienced guys around willing to help?

• KJ790

Posted December 10, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Since you have already owned a yamaha before, you know that you need to put a good chain on it right away. Buy an hour meter for it, it comes in handy. The best money you can spend is on an extended fuel screw. It costs around $20 but truly is priceless. Break it in and then change the oil and the oil filter to make sure that there is no metal shavings in the engine from assembly. Other than that, just follow the manufacturer recommendations found in the owner's manual and you'll be fine. I'm a little obsessive about oil changes, so I change mine every 1.5-2 hours and I change the oil filter every 3rd oil change. I check my valve adjustment every 15 hours, but have never needed to adjust them. If you want more power you can throw away the stock pipe because it is pretty performance robbing. There really isn't much to owning these things. I didn't really notice a handling difference between the 250 two stroke and the 450 when I switched. You will adapt very quickly. Have fun!

• bnyfe

Posted December 10, 2007 - 05:57 PM

sounds good... I always used a magnetic drain plug before. Do they make one for this bike too? What oil filters do you recommend?

Any insight as to why so many of my friends got injured on the 450f? By the way, they all rode Honda's. Only one bought a Yami.

• Slinkyman16

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:00 PM

do what kj said.. the stock chain is okay for awhile as long as you keep up the maint on it.. i have arouund 20-30 hours on my bike and its just not getting to the point of garbage. dont be to eagr to buy new parts for.. ride it like it is untill you get used to it, and then upon your style start adding parts to make it suit you. check valves every 4th oil change depending on how long you go between changes.. i typically change mine every 2 ride on the track and every third day out in the desert.

after submitting this i saw that you added a post..

yes they make a magnetic drain plug for your bike.. and 2..they most likely were riding over their heads or it could be a string of bad luck.. respect the bike and it will respect you!!

and lastly get yourself a scotts oil filter.. it is the last filter you will ever need. i believe 60 bucks in the tt store. wash it out and throw it back in.

• KJ790

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:03 PM

I personally use yamaha oil filters. If you want to go with a stainless steel oil filter and clean it rather than replace it, I would recommend a Scotts filter.

As for your friends, how experienced where they? Did they all have a lot of experience on 250 two strokes? I can't really see why someone would be more likely to get hurt on a 450 over a 250 two stroke. The peak power of a 250 two stroke is equivalent to a 450, 450s just make a little more power off the bottom. My bet is that they would have suffered the same injuries had they been on two strokes, they just happened to be on four strokes at the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bnyfe

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:05 PM

the first thing I always toss is the junk stock chain. Even if you maintain it and get it to last, it still requires constant adjusting as they tend to stretch rapidly whereby diminishing sprocket life as well.

• bnyfe

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:09 PM

that makes real sense...perhaps they would have been hurt on a two stroke as well. They are either Vet Experts, Top Ranking Amateurs and Experts at local races, one is a licensed pro. The pro stuck with 450 but endured many injuries during his transition.

I'll get the Yamaha filters. Thanks very much.

• KJ790

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:15 PM

that makes real sense...perhaps they would have been hurt on a two stroke as well. They are either Vet Experts, Top Ranking Amateurs and Experts at local races, one is a licensed pro. The pro stuck with 450 but endured many injuries during his transition.

I'll get the Yamaha filters. Thanks very much.

I see you're also from NY. Where of else are you from. I am a local expert myself and my father races the +40 expert class regularly. Maybe I know your friends.

By the way, my father tried the four stroke thing and had stalling issues. He would stall it and it would take too long to start for him in races (granted this was back in 2003, they do start easier now). He went back to the two stroke. I had no issues whatsoever switching to four strokes.

• bnyfe

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:42 PM

that's cool with you and your dad riding together. You just might know many of them. I live in Plattsburgh. There is a new track coming to Airborne Speedway. It will be open this spring.

I think I am really going to like the 4 stroke. I am really tired of buying race fuel and mixing the oil.

• nap__kxf

Posted December 10, 2007 - 06:59 PM

that's cool with you and your dad riding together. You just might know many of them. I live in Plattsburgh. There is a new track coming to Airborne Speedway. It will be open this spring.

I think I am really going to like the 4 stroke. I am really tired of buying race fuel and mixing the oil.

i hated when we'd go riding (back when i had my 2st) and we'd get gas in the morning, then i'd like freak out and make sure i remembered exactly how much gas we put in my can for when i mixed and it nerveracking. but i did love having my own gas can :banghead: (everyone eklse had a 4st)

• bnyfe

Posted December 10, 2007 - 07:06 PM

i hated when we'd go riding (back when i had my 2st) and we'd get gas in the morning, then i'd like freak out and make sure i remembered exactly how much gas we put in my can for when i mixed and it nerveracking. but i did love having my own gas can :banghead: (everyone eklse had a 4st)

10-4 on that! No gas bummers!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.