Gear "catching" when clutching down hills?? Help??

4 replies to this topic
  • jarado

Posted December 10, 2007 - 02:56 AM

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is anything to worry about, but when I clutch down hills in my bike you can feel the gears catching still. eg. Say I had it in neutral and rolled down it would glide down smooth, but if in gear with the clutch in when the back tire hits ruts/rocks you can feel it grab at the gears and stuff. I have tried adjusting the clutch so that its' way in but you can still feel it. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this anything to worry about? The bike was like this when I got it so dont know if its normal. its a '00 WR400.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys - Jared

• WR_Dave

Posted December 10, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Have you checked the clutch basket teeth for grooves worn into them. Usually this will cause a 'dragging clutch' feel even when idling and trying to put the bike in gear.?? Maybe your chain is causing the gear feel due to it running across the top of the swingarm?? Need a bit more info to try and nail down the issue :banghead: WR Dave.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr1million

Posted December 10, 2007 - 10:30 AM

its either you have a worn clutch basket (inner or outer) ... actually seeing that its a 2000 model you should pull the clutch apart and inspect everything.

• jarado

Posted December 11, 2007 - 12:27 AM

Is it a big job to have a look at the clutch basket?

• SXP

Posted December 11, 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is anything to worry about, but when I clutch down hills in my bike you can feel the gears catching still. eg. Say I had it in neutral and rolled down it would glide down smooth, but if in gear with the clutch in when the back tire hits ruts/rocks you can feel it grab at the gears and stuff. I have tried adjusting the clutch so that its' way in but you can still feel it. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this anything to worry about? The bike was like this when I got it so dont know if its normal. its a '00 WR400.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys - Jared

I think it's completely normal, especially with the rear wheel locked up/near lock-up (with the clutch pulled in), while slipping and sliding down a hill. I hear all kinds of interesting clunking and clanking from the transmission. Happens on both the 99s and 07.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.