How many hours between piston and ring R&R

• rexbond007

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:25 AM

here's what i did, little different:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:53 AM

Here's what I did with the hour meter wire- tight wrap around the plug boot, then tight wrap with electrical tape. Looks nearly factory. For the meter itself, I zip-tied it to the throttle cables, it won't come off unless I want it to. Also, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire that you can still get the coil off if you need to change/check your plug or pull the head cover to check valves.

Posted Image

I'm trying to put on my hour meter! 2008 YZ450F and it appears the the distance from the top of the plug and the mud boot, there wouldn't be enough space. The mud boot butts up right against the plug where the pig tail clicks into the cap. There isn't enough space to wrap it around the top of the boot like in this picture. Any other suggestions? Maybe around the other end?:banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I'm trying to put on my hour meter! 2008 YZ450F and it appears the the distance from the top of the plug and the mud boot, there wouldn't be enough space. The mud boot butts up right against the plug where the pig tail clicks into the cap. There isn't enough space to wrap it around the top of the boot like in this picture. Any other suggestions? Maybe around the other end?:busted:

zipty it to the throttle cables on the steeringhead. This way it is not going to fall off and it is very visable :banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:14 AM

zipty it to the throttle cables on the steeringhead. This way it is not going to fall off and it is very visable :banghead:

I was speaking where to wrap the wire.

• William1

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Here's what I did with the hour meter wire- tight wrap around the plug boot, then tight wrap with electrical tape. Looks nearly factory. For the meter itself, I zip-tied it to the throttle cables, it won't come off unless I want it to. Also, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire that you can still get the coil off if you need to change/check your plug or pull the head cover to check valves.

Posted Image

That is nearly how I did mine. I used a piece of shrink wrap though instad of tape. I put bullet connectors in the wire to make removal of the COP easier.
I also made a small bracket that is attached to the front tank bolt on my 08. I drilled and tapped it and used allen cap screws to attach the meter to the bracket. It is a safe location and I can see it easily when tweaking the idle screw and fuel screw too.:banghead:

• William1

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Wes, are you positive the sealing boot is all the way in the head? You are using a stock plug, right, not a shorty?

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Wes, are you positive the sealing boot is all the way in the head? You are using a stock plug, right, not a shorty?

Yes sir! Everything is stock and plug CR8e. Looking at the pictures on an 07 it seems that there is more space above the dust boot than on an 08. I will post a pic in a min.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Here is the pic:
http://s63.photobuck...nt=plugboot.jpg
Everything Stock. CR8E

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grunkthump

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:13 AM

there is room there it only needs to be wrapped 3 times

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Here is the pic:
http://s63.photobuck...nt=plugboot.jpg
Everything Stock. CR8E

Wes I pulled back the plastic wrap on the right side of your pic (right at the junction where the wires go in) wrapped Hr meter wire 3 times and recovered with the existing plastic wrap and some electrical tape. Then I ran small zipties from the plug wire to the throttle cables and mtd'd it on top of the cables on the steering head -

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 01:44 PM

Wes I pulled back the plastic wrap on the right side of your pic (right at the junction where the wires go in) wrapped Hr meter wire 3 times and recovered with the existing plastic wrap and some electrical tape. Then I ran small zipties from the plug wire to the throttle cables and mtd'd it on top of the cables on the steering head -

I'm assuming around both of them? Thanks for all of your help again.:banghead: W3

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Alright I installed the hour meter. Pulled back the heat shrink and wrapped it around the two wires to the right of the boot in the picture. It is not picking up because it still reads (0.0). Is there a wrong way to install? I didn't think I was dumb but maybe.

• DPW

Posted January 04, 2008 - 04:49 PM

Alright I installed the hour meter. Pulled back the heat shrink and wrapped it around the two wires to the right of the boot in the picture. It is not picking up because it still reads (0.0). Is there a wrong way to install? I didn't think I was dumb but maybe.

'08 YZ450F....crudey pic, but you get the idea...here is what did

Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image

I got the idea. I wrapped it around the two wires and it did not work. I will do it this way. Thanks AGAIN! Fuel for this one.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 05, 2008 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

This worked! Logged my first hour today! Thanks again

• DPW

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:29 PM

good deal..glad I could help!

• HMMRDWN

Posted March 31, 2008 - 06:57 PM

I zip tied my meter to the rubber piece that holds to CDI in place. I can see it if I turn my front wheel and look in behind the front number plate on my 07 YZ450F.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.