2007 YZ450F Hour Meter

37 replies to this topic
  • jp765

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Any ideas on a good location to place the meter and to wrap the wire.

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:08 PM

on the frame........you yz guys don't have to clean the frame like us crf'ers

• jp765

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Thanks but i have been told that i cant just wrap the wire around the plug wire and it work is this true

• motoscotty

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Mine always worked like that.

• steve_97060

Posted December 09, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Thanks but i have been told that i cant just wrap the wire around the plug wire and it work is this true

yes, wrap it around the plug boot, then just zipty your hour meter to the throttle cables just above the radiator.

• todds924

Posted December 09, 2007 - 09:30 PM

on the frame........you yz guys don't have to clean the frame like us crf'ers

If your just going to rely on the sticky two sided tape to tape it to the frame thats a bad idea. I've had 2 of them fall off that way. I finally just drilled a tiny hole and put one screw in it along with the tape. Havent had a problem since. All the meters I've seen come with two small sheet metal screws and two holes to put them in. I mount mine on the right side of the steering head above and in front of the radiator.

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2007 - 10:04 PM

You can't wrap th esignal wire around the spark plug wire because there isn't one on any YZ450. The wire has to be run around the plug boot (ignition coil).

An alternative to mounting them on the frame at all is to either tape it to your throttle cables, or mount on the inside of the air box. You can check when you clean your air filter, which you were going to be doing almost every ride anyway, right?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:25 PM

If your just going to rely on the sticky two sided tape to tape it to the frame thats a bad idea. I've had 2 of them fall off that way. I finally just drilled a tiny hole and put one screw in it along with the tape. Havent had a problem since. All the meters I've seen come with two small sheet metal screws and two holes to put them in. I mount mine on the right side of the steering head above and in front of the radiator.

You drilled into the frame?

• rexbond007

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:08 PM

use silicone, stays put until u peel it off!

• BBrown626

Posted December 13, 2007 - 10:28 AM

You need to wrap the wire around the exposed portion of the coil at the very top of the plug connector. With the plug properly connected, it is the last inch or so of the connector that sticks out the top. Wrapping it around the wire will not work on new bikes. I used Velcro to stick the meter on the steering head and added a loop of wire through the meter's screw hole and around an adjacent throttle cable just in case the velcro fails.

Brent

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted December 13, 2007 - 05:44 PM

You drilled into the frame?

The key is mounting location............you don't wan't to go all the way through. i used a super short sheet metal screw and only used it in one of the two holes on the meter....also the 2 sided tape....I was really pissed after I lost the second one and this one is going nowhere.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 14, 2007 - 01:27 PM

Here's what I did with the hour meter wire- tight wrap around the plug boot, then tight wrap with electrical tape. Looks nearly factory. For the meter itself, I zip-tied it to the throttle cables, it won't come off unless I want it to. Also, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire that you can still get the coil off if you need to change/check your plug or pull the head cover to check valves.

Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 15, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Here's what I did with the hour meter wire- tight wrap around the plug boot, then tight wrap with electrical tape. Looks nearly factory. For the meter itself, I zip-tied it to the throttle cables, it won't come off unless I want it to. Also, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire that you can still get the coil off if you need to change/check your plug or pull the head cover to check valves.

Posted Image

Looks Good!

• Stupendous

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:55 AM

I mounted my hour meter behind the number plate with industrial strength velcro. No problems so far.

• BradThomas

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:23 PM

What brand Hour meter are you guys using? I havent really looked into this and it seems I need to. I only have a few hours on the new bike. Probably less than an hour run time.

• Stupendous

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:06 AM

SenDEC. I picked it up at Sears.

• todds924

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:36 PM

SenDEC. I picked it up at Sears.

If you look at the back of all the hour meters...99% of them are made by SenDec..... Dr D's say Dr D on the front but they say Sendec on the back.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 18, 2007 - 10:20 PM

SenDec off of Ebay for $17 bucks. It's advertised as being for a lawnmower, but the only difference between it and other models is it is supposed to flash at some certain interval to remind you to change your oil.

• Windseeker

Posted December 22, 2007 - 01:38 AM

My 2 cents... mmmm... better say 2 rubles? :banghead:

http://pics.livejour...rr/pic/00026xwd

• steve_97060

Posted December 22, 2007 - 11:30 AM

My 2 cents... mmmm... better say 2 rubles? :banghead:

http://pics.livejour...rr/pic/00026xwd

That is how I have mine also...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.