69 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted December 14, 2007 - 01:06 PM

The one @ P-dale Honda looks like this:
Posted Image

i WANT it!

• HawkGT

Posted December 14, 2007 - 08:50 PM

There's also the XRV650 Africa Twin which preceded the XRV750 Africa Twin. I don't believe either were ever sold in the US. I think the 750 is still being manufactured.

XRV650
Posted Image

XRV750
Posted Image

Their engines are essentially versions of the HawkGT's (NT650) engine which did make a brief stay in the US 89-92. Great engine but the HawkGT is strictly a road bike--and a sweet little bike too with its single sided swingarm and aluminum perimeter frame. Too bad it was a sales flop. Great freakin bike....

• martinfan30

Posted December 15, 2007 - 03:28 PM

i want that too! looks like im moving to africa!

• bongodave

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:41 PM

The NX (Dominator, in the rest of the world) was marketed as a Dakar replica of their Dakar racebikes. BMW tore them a new one, basically, then Honda went to the big twins.

As you can see, the Dominator was sold as a red, flashy repli-racer. The Euro version got a rear disc, the US got a tiny drum brake and spark arrestors. I saw one in my town which had been brought over by a real nice English guy and was being towed behind a motorhome.

Here in the states it was "Astro Blue," a nice, if understated color, reminescent of the old SL line, with a silver frame with a square downtube because it looked streetier (looked aluminum, but it wasn't!). The fork brace under the fender made it very solid in turns.
The problem here is that most Americans had (and still have) no idea what Dakar is.

They tried to sell it as a nifty town-bike, which it was. E-start and a fairing that worked great (obviously designed with a wind-tunnel) for it's size.
I loved mine, but it wasn't much of a dirtbike. With the extra power, I could smoke my buddy's XR600R (I smoked him in the dirt, too, but I was a more experienced rider:p ).

With adventure bikes starting to get a little attention, Honda could do an XRR version easy enough, and it would be huge in Europe. I can't imagine Honda would have no plans to put it in something street legal here. The R has such a great motor! It's what I have now, and it's definitely a good-at-anything design.

We'll see what they do in '09. Honda, if you're listening, give us a fuel-injected, street legal R motor with E-start, a 6th gear, two trim options (dirt or fairing), and, if it's not too much trouble, a comfy seat!

I can dream, can't I? :banghead: My .02

• Motosprtman

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:17 AM

The adventure bikes like the transalp and the NX would do alot better today for the commmuters who put alot of miles on a bike and want that off road look vs riding a streetleagalized XR-R or an L. Thier only other alternative is a KLR. Like I said previously they should have introduced the NX as a supplement to the XL/XR line and I think it would of lived. But as a stand alone unit replacing the XL's and leaving only the XR's.... it did'nt happen.

Also IF Honda is indeed listening I concur that we need something more upto date thean the L. Like the XR650R with E-start and street legal gear and a tranny with one more gear for crusin. Or a CRF250L and CRF450L version....

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:09 AM

The NX line only failed in the US, it was one of Honda's top selling bikes for at least 10 years in Europe.

I wanted an Africa Twin but importing one is next to impossible. So I did the next best thing, I converted my 89 Transalp to an Africa Twin by importing the necessary parts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also have the liquid cooled dual overhead cam NX250 which is an absolute blast to ride and will hold 75 mph all day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I owned an NX125 for a short time, it was fun to buzz around town on but not real fast.

Posted Image

• desert4seat

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Jeff,
Beautifully done!!!!
Why is it next to impossible to import them???

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Customs will flag them because they don't have a US style vin #. The only ways I've seen people get them over is if they are in the military and have lived overseas for more than a year. They can bring them back. Another way is to go through all the red tape of getting one passed and approved by the DOT, I've heard this can cost $5000 in paper work alone.
Another way is to have one shipped over in boxes and do some fancy vin # swapping.

• HawkGT

Posted December 19, 2007 - 10:02 AM

I had a grey market bike with a non-US VIN. It was a nightmare to get titled and registered. It was a long and frustrating endeavor and I was never successful. AZ will plate my CR500R but wouldn't touch my Japanese market NC30 with a ten foot pole. :banghead:

I won't try it again without an inside man at the appropriate DMV.

That NX250 looks like a hoot!

• martinfan30

Posted December 19, 2007 - 10:05 AM

nice bikes jeff.:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2007 - 10:49 AM

nice bikes jeff.:banghead:

Thanks!!!

My favorite do it all bike is the old never say die XR600. I rode this bike on the TransAmerica trail in July and I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable bike.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• captb

Posted December 20, 2007 - 09:47 PM

Here's my 89 NX650 back in 91, I ordered it new for 3300.00 out the door in Scottsdale, AZ. kept it a couple years great bike it ran flawless, allways had people ask what it was, cool looking, comfortable, 100 mph on the road, ok off road with good knobs but front pushed alot and soft suspension but I liked it better than my 650L, I wish I would have stored it away when I moved.

Posted Image

• SteveON

Posted December 20, 2007 - 10:21 PM

Still working on cleaning up my '88 NX650 I bought the day before Thanksgiving. It has 22,000 miles and everything on it works! So far I've adjusted the valves, changed the oil, replaced both oil and air filters and the spark plug. Replaced the shift lever, ordered some new Duro tires (still have to mount and balance them). I touched up the frame, repainted the exhaust, plastics and tank. I ordered a Sargeant seat cover for the stock seat and put it on yesterday. Looks pretty good but I think I'll need some longer staples than what I used. Hopefully I'll have it mostly back together by tomorrow evening. If so I'll post some pictures.
I normally ride an '85 FJ1100 or my '02 FZ1 so I'm not sure what to expect from this bike. It seems to run pretty well (only had in up to 40 in the neighborhood). I bought it to travel some of the back roads around here and to the rivers to fly fish some. Next April several of us are planning on traveling to Copper Canyon and I'm hoping the NX650 will provide a decent, reliable ride.
SteveON

• martinfan30

Posted December 20, 2007 - 11:14 PM

Still working on cleaning up my '88 NX650 I bought the day before Thanksgiving. It has 22,000 miles and everything on it works! So far I've adjusted the valves, changed the oil, replaced both oil and air filters and the spark plug. Replaced the shift lever, ordered some new Duro tires (still have to mount and balance them). I touched up the frame, repainted the exhaust, plastics and tank. I ordered a Sargeant seat cover for the stock seat and put it on yesterday. Looks pretty good but I think I'll need some longer staples than what I used. Hopefully I'll have it mostly back together by tomorrow evening. If so I'll post some pictures.
I normally ride an '85 FJ1100 or my '02 FZ1 so I'm not sure what to expect from this bike. It seems to run pretty well (only had in up to 40 in the neighborhood). I bought it to travel some of the back roads around here and to the rivers to fly fish some. Next April several of us are planning on traveling to Copper Canyon and I'm hoping the NX650 will provide a decent, reliable ride.
SteveON

if you are unsatisfied, let me know. i will come take 'er off your hands!

• martinfan30

Posted December 20, 2007 - 11:15 PM

Here's my 89 NX650 back in 91, I ordered it new for 3300.00 out the door in Scottsdale, AZ. kept it a couple years great bike it ran flawless, allways had people ask what it was, cool looking, comfortable, 100 mph on the road, ok off road with good knobs but front pushed alot and soft suspension but I liked it better than my 650L, I wish I would have stored it away when I moved.

Posted Image

the dual exhaust is way too cool!

• SteveON

Posted December 23, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Got the bike back together and inspected Friday. Took her on a 25 mile loop on some back roads North of San Antonio. She runs great. Very sensitive to RPM/gear selection though. I had her up to 75 once but that's because I ran out of room. Too much traffic in the way on the local hiway. Rode her to work today and am really liking the way she feels. Working the gears to keep the RPM in the torque curve really gets her respond. Next I have to replace the front rotor and brake pads and put the new decals on. I'll try to get some pictures up later this week. After the new year I plan on doing the carb mod and desmogging. I've heard that really livens up the engine and helps keep the heat down?

• martinfan30

Posted December 23, 2007 - 03:19 PM

yes it will definately wake the mill up and keep the temps down a bit.

• SteveON

Posted December 31, 2007 - 03:14 PM

I finally have pictures saved of the completed bike but I have no idea how to post them on here? I still have a couple of things I have to replace but it's rideable as is.
SteveON

• HawkGT

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:19 PM

I finally have pictures saved of the completed bike but I have no idea how to post them on here?...

Start a Photobucket account (it's free and easy to use once you get the hang of it). You can host the pictures there and then you can share them here.

• martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2008 - 08:11 AM

Start a Photobucket account (it's free and easy to use once you get the hang of it). You can host the pictures there and then you can share them here.

+1...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.