For all you NX 650 Fans out there

69 replies to this topic
  • drtrider145

Posted December 09, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Surfing local craig's list and found this , I don't know if it is a good deal or not but I know this bike in not easy to find

http://phoenix.craig.../484968979.html

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:24 PM

thats a smokin deal! damn i wish i had extra $$$$!

• HawkGT

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Are those pretty much an XRL frame/engine with different stuff bolted on?

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 07:55 PM

engine yes. frame, im not so sure of.

• HawkGT

Posted December 09, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Sure would be nice if Honda made a new NX out of the XR650R. Maybe if we're lucky Yamaha will bring the Tenere over and it will be a success, thus prompting a competing bike from Honda.

Ya know, something along these lines except with practical street stuff instead of Dakar race stuff...:
Posted Image

Slim that ^ down a little, add a little rack, passenger pegs, etc and make an updated, street legal version of the old NX650. I wouldn't even need electric start (I'd take it though):
Posted Image

I always wanted a Honda version of the 640 Adventurer. The XR650R would make a great platform for that.
Posted Image

I know, I know--it's never gonna happen. :banghead: We can dream though.

• Thumpmeister

Posted December 09, 2007 - 11:30 PM

Its an early XR 650 L motor, but with a different frame from both the XR 650 L, and the XR6. Check out the link...

http://www.srcinc.net/html/101-03.html

• martinfan30

Posted December 10, 2007 - 07:48 AM

hawk you took the words right outta my mouth! i'll take two!

• dirtflea

Posted December 10, 2007 - 07:54 AM

I have owned both bikes, the NX 650 will flat run away from the XR650L. I don't know what the differences are but the NX as far a motor goes is better but the XR suspension works better off-road. Thems my 2 cents.

• k12

Posted December 10, 2007 - 08:19 AM

I will be in tucson in two weeks. I used to search all over for one of those in decent shape. I found one about 300 miles away, but decided to get a '92 DR650 that was closer. That one is a steal at that price. Too bad I am 100% dirt now, or I'd snag that thing right now.

• bongodave

Posted December 12, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Bought it new in '88. Faster than the L due to the dual exhaust and larger, less restricted intake. I think stock HP was around 42. It went an honest 103 mph with a 17" rear (the fairing helped a lot!).
It was a good streetbike, very sturdy, and an overweight pig in the dirt. People would see the dual exhaust and ask if it was a twin!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted December 12, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

Strange. This dominator has a kick start. Dominators are electric start. It also has disc rear brake. Had to come out after 1990. I wonder if they made a electric start motor with the kick option?

• HawkGT

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Strange. This dominator has a kick start. Dominators are electric start. It also has disc rear brake. Had to come out after 1990. I wonder if they made a electric start motor with the kick option?

Hmmm. I dunno. I can find pics of them both with and without kickers.

According to this 1989 (I think) brochure, it had both. I don't know what country that brochure is from for sure though. Various countries may have had sightly different versions.

Posted Image

• xr650l bum

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:48 PM

Nice find. It says right there, starter is electric & primary kick. We must be able to get the parts needed to add a kick to the L from factory. Nx cdi does not seem to have a problem with the kick start. Interesting. Thanks Hawk.

• martinfan30

Posted December 12, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Nice find. It says right there, starter is electric & primary kick. We must be able to get the parts needed to add a kick to the L from factory. Nx cdi does not seem to have a problem with the kick start. Interesting. Thanks Hawk.

the nx cdi has to be run off of DC as the L is. so, maybe someone can find an NX cdi and try it on an L. i just think the power difference from the L to the NX is the dual exh. that ad also says it has a 40 mm carb. the L is 42.5mm. wonder how that may affect?

• Motosprtman

Posted December 14, 2007 - 07:44 AM

The NX was one of the biggest failures ever incurred by HONDA. Built to replace the legendary XL line, it suffered from rejection right off the bat. Honda was left with tons of units unsold and more in boxes in the factories. Scott Summers idea of using a NX650 motor in a XR600 frame caught on and was utilized by Honda in an attempt to recoup the losses. The rest is history and the XR650L was borne and has been one of the biggest sellers they have ever made.
This is not to say the NX's were bad bikes, just odd I think and introduced wrong as a replacement to an already infamous product line (The XL's) if it would of been offered - as a supplement - to the line as a Paris Dakar type adventure bike, I think it would of lived. Honda's mistake was in maketing it as a replacement of a best seller line, a lesson learned the hard way and one they will not forget.

• martinfan30

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:17 AM

that makes sense and is truly a shame.

• Coolidge

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:26 AM

I have a OLD Dirt Rider mag, where they were just doing the NX motor in the XR frame project. DR was really impressed with the E-start Hybrid. There rest they say, is history. On a side note, my local Honda dealer (Palmdale Honda) has a XLV(?) on the floor. It kinda looks like the NX, but has a V-twin? What was the story on that bike? Was it built for U.S. market?

• martinfan30

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:27 AM

got any pics?

• Coolidge

Posted December 14, 2007 - 11:49 AM

The one @ P-dale Honda looks like this:
Posted Image

• Motosprtman

Posted December 14, 2007 - 01:01 PM

The XLV Transalp - if I remember correctly co-existed with the XL line for a very short time, then - in a sudden burst of some kind of enlightenment, HONDA, in it's infinite wisdom discontinued the XL's completely and we were given the NX series, with no other alternatives, save the XR's.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.