Zip Ty vs. R&D Powerbowl

70 replies to this topic
  • grunkthump

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:29 AM

will the new die cast units be cheaper?? THANKS.

• R1DEAN

Posted December 17, 2007 - 04:07 PM

will the new die cast units be cheaper?? THANKS.

Price will remain the same.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Price will remain the same.

I'm assuming that the fuel bowl includes the adjustable power pump?

• R1DEAN

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:43 PM

I'm assuming that the fuel bowl includes the adjustable power pump?

The [COLOR="Blue"]R&D Power Bowl[/COLOR] is a completly integrated system, ALJ (adjustable leak jet)built into the bowl, it come w/ pump cover, o-rings, linkage spring and diaphragm spring.

The [COLOR="Blue"]R&D Power Pump[/COLOR] is design for the stock float bowl, it repairs the
short comings in the stock A/P chamber, it also features the ALJ.

R&D's Power Pump is a inexpensive product, designed to provide
superior performance over similuar porducts in the market place,
however, it will not perform at the same level as the R&D Power Bowl,
how can it?
it is only the A/P cover not the complete Bowl.

Dean@R&D

• ezriderguy

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:19 PM

All this carb talk makes my want to buy another 2 stroke.....Remember them ?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:16 PM

All this carb talk makes my want to buy another 2 stroke.....Remember them ?

I'll never go back to a 2 smoke!:banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:18 PM

The [COLOR="Blue"]R&D Power Bowl[/COLOR] is a completly integrated system, ALJ (adjustable leak jet)built into the bowl, it come w/ pump cover, o-rings, linkage spring and diaphragm spring.

The [COLOR="Blue"]R&D Power Pump[/COLOR] is design for the stock float bowl, it repairs the
short comings in the stock A/P chamber, it also features the ALJ.

R&D's Power Pump is a inexpensive product, designed to provide
superior performance over similuar porducts in the market place,
however, it will not perform at the same level as the R&D Power Bowl,
how can it?
it is only the A/P cover not the complete Bowl.

Dean@R&D

Dean, thanks for setting me straight.:banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Has anybody here done a A/P mod (wiring)on an 08 yet? I heard that you didn't have to because the spring on the linkage was stronger, unlike the springs on the 06-07's.

• Quicktoy

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:59 PM

they retail at 250 a bowl and are AWESOME

• andy250

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Has anybody here done a A/P mod (wiring)on an 08 yet? I heard that you didn't have to because the spring on the linkage was stronger, unlike the springs on the 06-07's.

From what I understand that is correct. I sent my '08 carb off to zipty and it was returned without the fixed linkage (see my post earlier in this thread). Their explanation was that it wasn't needed due to a stiffer spring.

I did pull the a/p cover off of the 08 carb to take a look and the spring does seem to be stiffer than my old bikes (04 and 06).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 18, 2007 - 12:56 AM

From what I understand that is correct. I sent my '08 carb off to zipty and it was returned without the fixed linkage (see my post earlier in this thread). Their explanation was that it wasn't needed due to a stiffer spring.

I did pull the a/p cover off of the 08 carb to take a look and the spring does seem to be stiffer than my old bikes (04 and 06).

I wonder if wiring it would make any difference? Maybe ill try!:banghead:

• andy250

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:51 AM

I wonder if wiring it would make any difference? Maybe ill try!:banghead:

I'm unable make my 08 bog, even on the stand. If yours behaves the same, I'm not sure there would be any benefit...

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:13 AM

There wouldn't.

Andy, did you have only the ZT mod done, or did you buy the float bowl?

• andy250

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:35 AM

There wouldn't.

Andy, did you have only the ZT mod done, or did you buy the float bowl?

I just had them do the standard mod for now. I wanted to see how it ran before spending the extra cash...

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:57 AM

I just had them do the standard mod for now. I wanted to see how it ran before spending the extra cash...

And what's your opinion as to whether the carb needs any more help?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 18, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I'm unable make my 08 bog, even on the stand. If yours behaves the same, I'm not sure there would be any benefit...

That's good! I believe there is a sensor when it is switched into gear which in turn advances the timing, making it less likely to bog. So if is not bogging on the stand, you're doing good. So I guess it did make a noticeable difference over stock?

• dewercs

Posted December 18, 2007 - 10:28 AM

After reading this thread I will throw out my experiance with the zip ty mods and the R&D power pump cover, I race a 2004 yz250F and 2007 yz450F, both bikes have DR. D exhaust and aftermarket air filter, 50/50 mix of c-12 and 93 octane (recomended by zip-ty racing) bikes are extrememly well maintained Valves are in spec (I hold a aircraft mechanics liscense, and I'm a career Medic/Firefighter...so I am extremely ANAL!), I'm out side of Roanoke VA, Blue Ridge mountains area, alt. from 750 feet above see level to 2500 feet above sea level, Temp ranges from 20F winter to up to 100F with 98% humidity in the summer, I had the zip-ty mod done to both carbs earlier in the year with great results, I DID NOT have them install the R&D float bowl, both carbs were spot on until the weather started changing here in the fall, I started chasing the jetting all around, we would have a cold day then three days of 65 degrees, it was getting really frustrating trying to practice and train, since the weather has stabilized, i ended up going up one on the pilot jet on the 250, but i was chasing the leak jet size around wich is very time consuming, I understand the therory of operation on the carbs, but since it has gotten colder and with less humidity, it always came down the leak jet that made the jetting precise, so i installed the R&D power pump cover on both bikes, easy to install, I would recomend that R&D add to the instructions to include somthing about the o-rings that are on the stock cover, I can see it being overlooked and then leaking fuel, (I almost forgot them myself), anyway if you live where the weather changes alot, the power pump cover is great to make ajustments to the leak jet, it was a nice compliment to the zip-ty mod( note, I did not use the spring that came with pump cover, I left it the way zip-ty saftey wired it) both carbs are now spot on, and if the weather acts like my wife and changes its mind all day, all it takes is a easy adjustment to straighten it out, Just my experiance, i come to learn that no matter what kind of engine it is, aircraft , mc, etc, no two engines run exactly alike, so this is just my experiance with changing altitude and changing weather.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 18, 2007 - 10:33 AM

After reading this thread I will throw out my experiance with the zip ty mods and the R&D power pump cover, I race a 2004 yz250F and 2007 yz450F, both bikes have DR. D exhaust and aftermarket air filter, 50/50 mix of c-12 and 93 octane (recomended by zip-ty racing) bikes are extrememly well maintained Valves are in spec (I hold a aircraft mechanics liscense, and I'm a career Medic/Firefighter...so I am extremely ANAL!), I'm out side of Roanoke VA, Blue Ridge mountains area, alt. from 750 feet above see level to 2500 feet above sea level, Temp ranges from 20F winter to up to 100F with 98% humidity in the summer, I had the zip-ty mod done to both carbs earlier in the year with great results, I DID NOT have them install the R&D float bowl, both carbs were spot on until the weather started changing here in the fall, I started chasing the jetting all around, we would have a cold day then three days of 65 degrees, it was getting really frustrating trying to practice and train, since the weather has stabilized, i ended up going up one on the pilot jet on the 250, but i was chasing the leak jet size around wich is very time consuming, I understand the therory of operation on the carbs, but since it has gotten colder and with less humidity, it always came down the leak jet that made the jetting precise, so i installed the R&D power pump cover on both bikes, easy to install, I would recomend that R&D add to the instructions to include somthing about the o-rings that are on the stock cover, I can see it being overlooked and then leaking fuel, (I almost forgot them myself), anyway if you live where the weather changes alot, the power pump cover is great to make ajustments to the leak jet, it was a nice compliment to the zip-ty mod( note, I did not use the spring that came with pump cover, I left it the way zip-ty saftey wired it) both carbs are now spot on, and if the weather acts like my wife and changes its mind all day, all it takes is a easy adjustment to straighten it out, Just my experiance, i come to learn that no matter what kind of engine it is, aircraft , mc, etc, no two engines run exactly alike, so this is just my experiance with changing altitude and changing weather.

Well Done!:banghead:

• R1DEAN

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:53 PM

That is a great testamonial, thanks for the input.

I am waiting for Todds924 to give his thoughts of the Power Pump, after riding his buddys 2008 YZ450F??

• dewercs

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:34 AM

well i have a unbiased opinion, no ties to either company I just wanted a product to fit my needs, I have not tried the merge, so I can not speak on its performance, however while doing research on both products a few things led me to the R&D. Number one: Even though I have a aircraft mechanics liscense and very capable of drilling holes in high dollar aircraft, I did NOT want to be drilling anything in these carbs. I like the idea of being able to put it back the way it was before I altered it, Number two: I have two full blown race bikes to maintain, that means when everytime I have to replace somthing due to wear or even if I upgrade its x2 wich is getting really expensive, and the R&D was cheaper, now I'm not saying cheaper is always better and I never cut corners on either of my bikes, I don't want that little thought in the back of mind getting ready to jump a triple, but I don't buy the most expensive product just because many people think it must be better b/c it cost more. I do my research and and find a product that will solve my problem. The R&D pump cover did exactly what I needed it to do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.