valving needed with springs?

2 replies to this topic
  • geoffro

Posted December 09, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Dont find anything in the forums.Do you need to change fork valving with heavier springs or not.I am coming back to racing enduro and c stream MX(no big jumps but smallish table tops.Stock WR 450 forks are VERY soft,even not jumping, deep woops bottom out(I'm 180lbs).Dont want to spend money on forks as I change bikes often(love WR though).Have put 5w oil in and upped level.
Any shortcut ideas on riding WR on MX track??(I know its not a MX bike but I'm not CHAD REED )

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted December 09, 2007 - 12:28 PM

No, you don't necessarily need to revalve with a spring swap. I just threw some .48's in mine, added 7.5# weight oil and raised the level a bit. It made a HUGE difference with no ill effects. However, revalving is the way to go if money is no object...SC

Posted December 09, 2007 - 12:43 PM

What Clark said... especially at 180lbs, you are a feather compared to my 220lb :banghead:

I have ran 10 wt oil before with no issues but will typically stick with 7wt.

Good Luck with the MX stuff....... with the lack of a real hard hit off the bottom you need to ride the track differently, you need to find a good flow on the WR and just accept the fact that you can't do everything the MX bikes are doing.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.