Yz 426 water pump impeller.

3 replies to this topic
  • 426craig

Posted December 08, 2007 - 03:08 PM

Can you remove the water pump impeller without taking the whole side cover off?

• PatrickM

Posted December 08, 2007 - 04:27 PM

You can but if not done exaclty perfectly....you could move the impellor shaft a way it should not go and therefore damge more internal parts of your engine.

I talked to 5 different Yamaha Techs and they all said that you need to remove the right side case .

I replaced everything in my water pump including all of the seals in about 2 hours.

its super easy!!!

if you want more help, just Pm me and I can give you more details directions

Good luck,

Patrick M.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 08, 2007 - 05:55 PM

Can you remove the water pump impeller without taking the whole side cover off?

The impeller will come off without removing the side case. It simply unscrews like any other nut.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:06 PM

The impeller will unscrew, and that's how they are removed. BUT, at least half the time, the amount of torque required to remove the impeller will exceed the strength of the drive tab on the inboard end of the shaft and snap it off. There is a pair of ground flats on the shaft made to allow it to be held with a 12mm wrench. That's how it should be done.

Besides, if taking the impeller off to replace a water pump seal, you can't inspect the shaft for grooving when you do it the quick way.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.