XR650L Battery Box

28 replies to this topic
  • BigDaddyMoat

Posted December 08, 2007 - 06:08 AM

I have a 2007 XR650L and I am curious to know if there is a conversion kit to mount a smaller battery in another location. The stock battey box is way too big!! Please Help!!!

• Bibleman

Posted December 08, 2007 - 06:24 AM

From everything I've read there is no kit, but there are a bunch of threads about relocating the battery to the airbox.

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 11:32 AM

heres a few pics of my relocation to the air box. i first removed the batt. box completely. then routed all wiring to the snorkel area of the air box and hooked up the battery and all electronic units that were in the batt. box.
best mod for my ride. changed the feel of the bike too.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Bibleman

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hey Martinfan, any downside the the pod air filter now that you've had it on for a while?

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Hey Martinfan, any downside the the pod air filter now that you've had it on for a while?

none at all! i ride mostly street/highway 75percent to 25 dirt. the only problem i had was when i was still running the cv carb. it caused a small hesitation 1/3 throttle i could not jet out. with the fcr its perfect

have you put in the hotcam?

• Bibleman

Posted December 08, 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the answer. As far as the Hotcam, believe it or not, I sold it on ebay because it looked like I was going to have to sell my bike because of business being very slow. As it turns out, I'm able to keep the bike (at least for now:ride: ), but the cam is gone:cry:

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the answer. As far as the Hotcam, believe it or not, I sold it on ebay because it looked like I was going to have to sell my bike because of business being very slow. As it turns out, I'm able to keep the bike (at least for now:ride: ), but the cam is gone:cry:

wow, i hear ya on the slow business. i work on toyota's at a dealer and we maybe have a couple hours of work in the morn. then stand around all day. at least you have your pig for now!

• Bibleman

Posted December 08, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I always liked my XRL, but when I thought it was going I realized how much I wanted to keep it:prof:

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 05:09 PM

ya for me its part of the family now! sitting next to it is my wifes 07 shadow 750 and a 72 cl 350. ALL honda's!

• Bibleman

Posted December 08, 2007 - 05:31 PM

NICE. My XRL's stablemates are currently a Suzuki 650, IT490 and CB450, the latter two being in rough shape:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • breweryrat

Posted December 08, 2007 - 08:13 PM

I'm really tempted to do the battery relocation. Any regrets Martin?

How do you think the pod filter will do in lots of dust?

Nice pix! Thanks for posting them.

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 12:11 AM

I'm really tempted to do the battery relocation. Any regrets Martin?

How do you think the pod filter will do in lots of dust?

Nice pix! Thanks for posting them.

no regrets at all! the bike should have been made this way. try it, if you dont like it, it only takes an hour or so to restore it to original cond. like i said, it is lighter and the weight is lower and more centered now.

the pod filter will do fine. just keep a spare that is ready to change out in a min. notice. lots of offroad riding will need more frequent changing. the filters are cheap, so i have a couple on hand ready to go.:banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 12:14 AM

just keep in mind, the pod filter may make jetting a bear with the stock cv carb. i had a hesitation i couldnt jet out of it. that went away with the fcr though.

• BigDaddyMoat

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the Help

• 650_shark

Posted December 09, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Has anyone found a side panel that fits after you relocate the battery box? I would assume a XR600 panel may fit?

• stepho

Posted December 09, 2007 - 09:04 AM

yes it does fit perfectly.

• Norge

Posted December 09, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Has anyone found a side panel that fits after you relocate the battery box? I would assume a XR600 panel may fit?

Here is a XR650L with XR600 side panels. Battery stuff in airbox. Have a new set of Aceribis XR600 side panels for $50 plus shipping.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 11:55 AM

norge, is that yours? do you have any pics of your battery stuff in the air box? i'd like to see and compare with mine. any special mods needed to hang the 600 side panel?

• Norge

Posted December 09, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the batt relocation pics from my XR650L. One pic from the side and one pic from the top. The cables are shortened and all connections soldered.
The XR600 panels fit fine without modification.

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 05:16 PM

nice work norge. looks similar to mine. is that the battery way back in there? i originally put mine there, but i wanted mine to be in the front and easy to get at for replacement if needed. i see a pod filter too, what carb is that? can i see a pic from the other side? just curious, and nice job!

it truly is the best mod ive done to my L.:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.