coating cylinder for storage

3 replies to this topic
  • 07YZ450F

Posted December 07, 2007 - 11:37 PM

i know in the manual it says to use 10w-30 but why cant i just use the 20w-40 that i use in the bike? i have plenty of spare bike oil. is it because its too thick and will give me starting problems in the spring? i just wanted to check with u guys before i did something to screw it up, although i cant see why it would be a problem. but u guys will know :banghead: thanx alot

• fishpost19

Posted December 08, 2007 - 03:01 AM

I know that 20W40 is used for higher environment temps than 10W30 (I read it in a manual) but don't know if the fact the bike isn't running will make a difference. Any oil is better than none, I suppose. Any one else know about this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cohocarl

Posted December 08, 2007 - 05:15 AM

I'm not an expert mechanic, but I don't think the little difference in weight would matter.

I'm planning on playing in the snow as much as I can here in MI with mine, so I'm not planning on putting it up for the winter.:banghead:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:29 AM

20-40 should be fine. The purpose of the oil in the cylinder is to coat the metal and keep it from rusting or corroding. Fogging oil would work equally as well, maybe better because of how you apply it. Fogging oil is available in a spray can and with the motor running you spray it down the carb for a few seconds until the motor stalls. That coats not only the cylinder, but also the valves and valve stems.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.