FCR vs. Edelbrock?

63 replies to this topic
  • Thumpmeister

Posted December 07, 2007 - 11:04 PM

I tried doing a search on this, but it didn't turn up much.

I want to get a little more power out of my pig, and the next step would most likely be the carb. Time for a couple questions...

I know the FCR's on the CRF's have had a reputation for having to be rebuilt after a while. Is this true, and will the Edelbrock need it too?

I've also read that the FCR cuts out a little bit on top compared to the stocker. Has anyone experienced this, and does the FCR have the same problem?

Has anyone compared the two back to back to see a difference? And will going to either one over my stocker make much of a difference in power?

• hondakid135

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:44 AM

The fcr has more circuits so it is snappier but much harder to dial in compared to the edelbrock. Fcr carbs are not hard to rebuild either, maby 2 hours on and off the bike.

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 11:26 AM

i run a fcr on my 650L. was a snap to dial in for me. love the T.R.

• creeky

Posted December 08, 2007 - 11:47 AM

In '98 I installed a new Edelbrock non-pumper on a stock '95 XR600. Needless to say, performance was much improved. I have since used the same carb on another stock 600, an HRC 628 and am currently running it on my '00 WR400 (with minor modifications), huge improvement over the Keihin. The only repairs necessary to the Edelbrock in all that time was a new slide and spring early on (freebie upgrade from Edelbrock) and a new float needle assembly when I modified it for the WR. Anyway, I much prefer the Eddy to the Keihin due to the Eddy's simplicity and lack of jetting hassles.

• jesusgatos

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Performance-wise though, a properly-tuned FCR is going to be a little better than an Edelbrock, right? I have an Edelbrock on my 650R right now, and the simplicity and lack of circuits that makes it so easy to tune is a compromise. No?

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:10 PM

Performance-wise though, a properly-tuned FCR is going to be a little better than an Edelbrock, right? I have an Edelbrock on my 650R right now, and the simplicity and lack of circuits that makes it so easy to tune is a compromise. No?

this is the draw back to the eddys simplicity.

• jesusgatos

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I haven't been overly impressed with my Edelbrock. I mean, the throttle response is great but I haven't been able to dial it in to the point where I'm happy with it through the whole powerband. Better than stock, but not as good as it could be. Right now it runs pretty well everywhere except WOT, where it falls flat if you hold it for more than a few seconds. It's like it's starving or running the float bowl dry. I've read about other people having similar problems.

Disclaimer: I'm a total hack when it comes to tuning.

• martinfan30

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:59 PM

ive heard that also. i just dont know how to solve it. sounds like a low float setting.

• jetfuel

Posted December 08, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I haven't been overly impressed with my Edelbrock. I mean, the throttle response is great but I haven't been able to dial it in to the point where I'm happy with it through the whole powerband. Better than stock, but not as good as it could be. Right now it runs pretty well everywhere except WOT, where it falls flat if you hold it for more than a few seconds. It's like it's starving or running the float bowl dry. I've read about other people having similar problems.

Disclaimer: I'm a total hack when it comes to tuning.

You are correct in your observation. You can tune it for more top end but you'll lose some bottom end. If I owned an "R" I would go with an FCR for more precise tuning. . . I put an edelbrock on my "L" a few years ago and couldn't be more satisfied. It's a simple carb for a simple,reliable bike. which is why I tend to ride it more than any of my other bikes.... :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 12:04 AM

does the eddy have a choke, or do you just run a rich pilot?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weskc35k

Posted December 09, 2007 - 02:31 AM

Thumpy Bruce has messed with both and can probably hook a brother up.

• creeky

Posted December 09, 2007 - 05:51 AM

The Edelbrock has no jets, only a replaceable needle externally adjustable for height, lower the needle for a leaner mixture, raise it to enrich. It has a pump, no choke plate, just twist the throttle 3-4 times and start it up. The older Eddys have an enrichment lever for starting, no pump.

• porterdog

Posted December 09, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Keep in mind that the FCR can be difficult to install on the 650R; from what I can gather (not many people have done it, myself included) you either need to make new spigots or heat-n-beat the underside of the fuel tank to get enuf clearance for the FCR to fit.

The Eddy is plug and play, well supported, and works well enuf for most people. That's why I just bought one off ebay!

• jetfuel

Posted December 09, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Nope no choke as someone else stated.. just a couple twists and it lights right up .. and when its cold out just 2 extra turns to the idle.

Keep in mind that the FCR can be difficult to install on the 650R; from what I can gather (not many people have done it, myself included) you either need to make new spigots or heat-n-beat the underside of the fuel tank to get enuf clearance for the FCR to fit.

The Eddy is plug and play, well supported, and works well enuf for most people. That's why I just bought one off ebay!

I wasn't aware of the clearance issue on the "R" thanks for the heads up. and as you said "plug and play" with edelbrock :banghead: Mine has worked and performed perfectly since the day I put it on.

• breweryrat

Posted December 09, 2007 - 10:51 AM

So how does the Mikuni Xr's only sells compare to these two carbs? I'm ready to get a carb and hotcam and want to pick the best option.

Anyone know if one is better than the other with a pod filter??

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 11:58 AM

either way should be good. just not the cv.

• Cocky Rooster

Posted December 09, 2007 - 12:46 PM

As said, I am still very happy with my Edelbrock.:banghead: But FYI - I have read some post about the Eddy starving for fuel when using an oversize tank with the pet-cock mounted at a lower level than stock. When the fuel runs low there was not enough pressure to fill the float bowl at full throttle.I think this has been corrected. ( some people had installed a small electric fuel pump.)I have had zero problems with mine (IMS 4g tank), and I love its simplicity. I hate fudging with jets when I can be out :busted: .

With that said; on the Eddy and with its brand new cables the throttle wouldn't return well until the cables have worn in a little bit. In fact, I left the return cable out of the throttle housing at first, and then after a couple of hours of riding things had loosened up a bit and I put the return cable on with no problems:thumbsup: .
I mention this because; carb swap=20 min. Messing with the cables assembling and reassembling the throttle housing=2.5 hours before surrender.:D

I put a 2"X4" Uni-filter sock on mine and am in the process of moving the battery to the airbox.

I love my pig:applause:

• martinfan30

Posted December 09, 2007 - 01:04 PM

LMAO! funny you mention 20 min carb swap and 2.5 messing with new cables and disassembling/reassembling the throttle assembly 500 times! same thing when i did my fcr and new motion pro cables!:banghead:

• Thumpmeister

Posted December 09, 2007 - 02:13 PM

So it sounds like the FCR will give better performance against the eddy, but the eddy is an easier carb to install and get working right, right?

Has anyone had any luck with the FCR being installed, and actually better performance over the eddY?

• XRMANU

Posted December 09, 2007 - 03:11 PM

I have an FCR 41 racing on my 650r SM,performs better than the previous Mikuni TM40 and OEM carb.I'm planning to let it bore oval to 42 a 43mm this winter (by VHM in Holland http://www.vhm.nl/indexmidden.htm )

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.