xr-600 third gear noise

3 replies to this topic
  • bmgyver

Posted October 05, 2002 - 05:16 PM

my 92 dual sported xr-600 has developed a significant gearbox growling when in third gear
is this normal? have others experienced this ?
any suggestions ?

• Moredesert

Posted October 06, 2002 - 05:29 PM

I hate to brake the bad news to you but XR600 gear boxes ware out after about 10-15k miles. Riding with a tour group these past years when the XR600 was king of the desert including mine had tranny problems. I could here gear box chatter when it was geared up or lugged in low gear. When I rebuilt my engine I found the gear face's of 3 gears were chipped away. I had to replace 6 gears costing about $600. The transmissions are strong but just ware out. If you pull the engine apart for ring and valves might as well split the cases too. It's a great bike but it's air cooled and doesn't last as long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wilson-1

Posted October 12, 2002 - 04:13 PM

My 96 XR 600 has taken more hard miles and abuse than should be legal for a dirt bike. From looping it on rock face cliffs, running on Mexico gas for a week and riding it back to back weekends for months on end, the bike is amazing for it's reliability. It has never let me down ever. Granted father time will come some day and the miles will catch up to this work horse machine. I would recommend fixing it if you can and enjoy the 600 for what it is. Good Luck!

• wattner

Posted October 12, 2002 - 05:04 PM

Call Freddy @ XR's only... The resident thumper motor expert. 760-244-2626

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.