'06 to '08 YZ450F Comparison

5 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 07, 2007 - 03:47 PM

I just purchased an 08 YZ450F. I keep hearing how slow it is. I was riding an '06 YZ450F and was using most of it. I haven't even ridden the 08 yet, but am concerned. I guess I will need to get a pipe, power bowl, gearing to start with. Is it true that the 06 was the fastest of the three? Main question?..... Anybody currently riding an 08 that was riding an 06? How much difference is there really.

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I just purchased an 08 YZ450F. I keep hearing how slow it is. I was riding an '06 YZ450F and was using most of it. I haven't even ridden the 08 yet, but am concerned. I guess I will need to get a pipe, power bowl, gearing to start with. Is it true that the 06 was the fastest of the three? Main question?..... Anybody currently riding an 08 that was riding an 06? How much difference is there really.

I have both an 06 and a 08. I raced the 06 for a year with only changing the pipe with a dr d and some minor re-jetting. I also put some 22.5 RG3 clamps on it. Best bike i ever owned. I was so happy i went and got an 08. To be honest at first I was disappointed. Once i got rid of the stock pipe i was very happy. The 08 with a pipe is faster than my 06. it handles better and i love it.

• MC214

Posted December 09, 2007 - 07:30 AM

I also had an `06 and upgraded to an `08 ,also am disapointed ,I hear that if you do the pipe up grade it is better.The question is which pipe ,I haven`t seen any mag. tests on pipe upgrades for that bike.There is also powerbowl`s and quick adjust screws.Power curve is definately different.Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gcrfrider54

Posted December 09, 2007 - 07:35 AM

07 pipes fit on the 08's. Atleast that is what i have been told.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 09, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I also had an `06 and upgraded to an `08 ,also am disapointed ,I hear that if you do the pipe up grade it is better.The question is which pipe ,I haven`t seen any mag. tests on pipe upgrades for that bike.There is also powerbowl`s and quick adjust screws.Power curve is definately different.Good luck.

Yeah, I have been wanting to get a pipe but don't know which one. I have looked at a pro circuit, Yoshi, Dr. D, but would really like to get the Whit Brothers TI Pro. I've heard you can't get them yet. Also I heard that the Dr. D is on of the best to go with for '08. Any feedback will be appreciated.

• DPW

Posted December 09, 2007 - 10:41 AM

ride the bike and form your own opinion...

I had an '06 with Dr.D and now I have a stock '08. I like the '08 better...leaps and bounds like Grant Langston('07) no, but better...I'm happy with my decision.

I let a faster rider(210lb) then me check out my stock bike yesterday with a "power robbing" o-ring chain and stock exhaust and he liked the power. It was on a MX track with a lot of deep loam and sand.

Will I change the pipe one of these days...probably, why because I'm a dork...is it needed???not for me. Just ride the bike and ignore what everybody tells you that you need...you might save yourself some $$$$...

but would really like to get the Whit Brothers TI Pro. .

That is the one I'm waiting on too...White Brothers told me around the end of Dec.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.