2008 YZ 450f for desert

7 replies to this topic
  • jetworld

Posted December 07, 2007 - 12:35 PM

I race the desert about everyother weekend, I was wondering what you guys think I should do to help improve. SO far I got a desert tank I got a rear renthal sprocket with 50T, also have an FMF 4.1 Exhaust. Any suggestions on what else I can do? Maybe Stabilizer? Please HELP

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:26 PM

I race the desert about everyother weekend, I was wondering what you guys think I should do to help improve. SO far I got a desert tank I got a rear renthal sprocket with 50T, also have an FMF 4.1 Exhaust. Any suggestions on what else I can do? Maybe Stabilizer? Please HELP

Stabilizer is a good thing for desert. I would take back the renthal sprocket though. That thing will be wore out in 3 weekends. Get a steel sprocket. I'm not sure about the 50 tooth for the desert either. I alternate between 49 and 50 but all i ride is tracks.

• BergArabia

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:58 PM

I ride desert including a lot of dunes and I use a paddle tire..

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Steel rear sprockets other than Ironman are fairly inexpensive and very durable, but quite heavy. Ironman SS rear sprockets wear well, are much lighter, but expensive.

I use Tag rears. They're hard anodized, light, look cool, and outlast Renthals exponentially. I have one that's a year and a half old.

In any case, going from a 49 to a 50 is not the direction I'd want to move in for the desert, unless you would also go to a 14 tooth front. That would pencil out the same as moving to a 13/47 combo, and give you some more cruising speed in 5th. Then again, it depends a little on what you like to do in the desert, too. If you enjoy picking your way along the bottoms of narrow canyons and stuff, the 13/50 might be what you want.

Personally, the stock gearing works out pretty well overall in the desert for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted December 08, 2007 - 02:18 PM

One other thing with desert sand riding, I think it is good to reroute the oil breather and put a valve on the end.
While this is a good mod for all riders, I think especially for the sand where you might dump the bike in the sand with the engine running and have it stall there.

• rtgincnm

Posted December 08, 2007 - 04:06 PM

I've been dreaming of dropping a WR gear box into my '07 so I never have to change a sprocket again, unless it's worn out. I love the bike in the desert but the slow stuff is a little hard. I run a 13/52 with a comfortable 60mph top end, fast enough for me. The GYTR flywheel is real nice also.

• jetworld

Posted December 10, 2007 - 12:38 PM

So pretty much what you guys are saying is go back to stock gearing?

• Robspring81

Posted November 16, 2008 - 06:26 PM

I used to race desert quite a bit and speed wise I would probably still finish pretty high in Amateur open class...I have an 08 YZ-450F and with the 5 speed transmission top end speed does not seem to be an issue. Only time I could see needing more speed is for an occasional fire road, but that is obviously a rare need.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.