Need help on Acerbis 5.8 fitting

3 replies to this topic
  • tgstoken

Posted December 07, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Well, I just got my new Acerbis 5.8 tank for my '93 XR650L and I have run into a problem. The steering will no longer turn to full lock with it installed. The front turn signal mounts hit the tank. Is there any way I can get full turning ability with this tank? Maybe make small riser-brackets for the signals? Maybe heat tank and dish it in where it hits? Maybe grind off old tank mounts (where the rubber donuts go) to make it sit lower? As it is, I am losing almost a half-inch of travel and the tank is bolted down tight. Anyone have any ideas? Cause I am fresh out. I dont really mind the loss of travel, but if I dump the bike on the trail, all the shock of the bars hitting the ground will go straight to the tank.

Update: I just raised the signals and now I almost have full travel. Now, if the bike tips over, there will only be a little shock to the tank.

• AaronBrown

Posted December 07, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Raising the signals or getting shorter ones are the only fixes I have heard of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • INYOxrl

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Post up some pic's so we can see....

• dmvmechanics

Posted December 15, 2007 - 10:23 PM

just put flush mount turn signals and bingo, plus they don't look as goofy as the stock ones

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.