Xr's only or FMF header?

7 replies to this topic
  • hrc1

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'm thinking about swapping from the stock header to a stainless one, mainly for looks and durability. These are the only 2 i can seem to find right now, anyone have anyhting good or bad to say about either? what it did for your power, how they fit etc? Any imput is appreciated. Thanks

• Potts228

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:49 PM

I'm thinking about swapping from the stock header to a stainless one, mainly for looks and durability. These are the only 2 i can seem to find right now, anyone have anyhting good or bad to say about either? what it did for your power, how they fit etc? Any imput is appreciated. Thanks

I had the FMF Power Bomb and would recommend using a high flow and not the Power Bomb. The Power Bomb is well made but really didn't improve the power over stock (un-corked). I switched to the Pro Circuit system and noticed a big difference.

• weskc35k

Posted December 07, 2007 - 01:57 AM

One of the blokes here has an FMF for sale in the classifieds,not sure which one though.

• Descalzo

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:10 AM

I really like the Leo Vince I put on. Can't compare it to the other two you mentioned, but the fit-n-finish is absolutely top notch. 3 piece design - very sexy.

I did a number of other mods at the same time, so I can't really comment on what the header alone would/will do for your power curve.

During my search on headers I did find that the "bomb" needs to be dented/dinged to clear the float bowl if you're running an edelbrock carb. That was for a 650R, so your results may vary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LeadDoggy

Posted December 07, 2007 - 06:11 AM

I believe that the XR Only header will only work with their muffler......

• hrc1

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:02 AM

i was wondering about that, i have a supertrapp megaphone and i believe a stocks size header outlet is what i need.

• LeadDoggy

Posted December 07, 2007 - 11:06 AM

When I got my steel pipe from XR's Only, what they said was that to clamping location was different on their Stainless Steel system, so therefore you would have to buy in a set, but the steel unit was a direct bolt-on to the stock headpipe. Diameter could also be a problem.

IMO, stock head pipe with slip-on or complete system from ONE manufacture.

• hrc1

Posted December 08, 2007 - 04:18 PM

When I got my steel pipe from XR's Only, what they said was that to clamping location was different on their Stainless Steel system, so therefore you would have to buy in a set, but the steel unit was a direct bolt-on to the stock headpipe. Diameter could also be a problem.

IMO, stock head pipe with slip-on or complete system from ONE manufacture.

That would be nice but there are only a handfull of mfg's that make full systems right now and only 1 that i can name that produces a reverse megaphone system. I already have the old school, but brand new supertrapp meg system and that's what i intend on using.Supertrapp quit making headers along time ago to go with that pipe unfortunatley.Does anyone have any pics of the diff headers?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.