Cam chain and tensioner

8 replies to this topic
  • dylanr

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:19 PM

i took the top end off of my 2000 xr650r to get the cylinder bored, and noticed the cam chain tensioner is all chewed up, chunks missing and everything. the chain didnt seem that loose, anyway should i just get another stock chain or is there a heavy duty one i should get, can i get the chain and tensioner all in one kit, should i get new sprokets?????? where would i find this stuff

thanks

• Billahjack

Posted December 07, 2007 - 07:41 AM

www.servicehonda.com to order
www.xr650r.us or somehwere has an online microfiche for part numbers

I know the 650R motor is tough, but I like to lubricate mine with oil instead of rocks.

• dylanr

Posted December 10, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Rocks? whats that supposed to mean

• Thumpmeister

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Personally, I like hondaparts-direct.com. They seem to ship parts a little faster then service honda. About the same price, though.

He was giving you a hard time, because to chew up a cam chain tentioner, there must be something else wrong...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted December 10, 2007 - 11:47 PM

yeah I was just messing with ya. I took out some cam chain tensioner sliders/guides on a 22R Toyota once that looked like that. I drove the piss out of that car.

Hope your refresh goes well!

• BWB63

Posted December 11, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Yes, there are two cam chains for our XR650R. The stock one you have and a much stronger, better HRC chain.
HRC part numbers:
HRC Cam chain #11401-NLB-003

HRC Cam 14000-NLB-000

Here are the links for the Microfiche and shop manual.

http://www.xr650r.us/fiche/

http://borynack.com/...650r_manual.htm

Posted Image

http://borynack.com/XR650R/

• 2000 xr650r

Posted December 11, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Personally, I like hondaparts-direct.com. They seem to ship parts a little faster then service honda. About the same price, though.

He was giving you a hard time, because to chew up a cam chain tentioner, there must be something else wrong...

I second hondapart-direct. Good prices and fast shipping. But i am not sure if you can get the hrc cam chain from there.

• dylanr

Posted December 11, 2007 - 05:19 PM

thanks for all the help, now where to find the hrc cam chain, and is that a one piece chain, or seperated so i dont have to take the clutch off.

• BWB63

Posted December 11, 2007 - 05:51 PM

The cam chains are endless chains and are not made to come apart. The clutch basket is not hard to remove. You can order the HRC cam chain from a local Honda shop if not off line as said, before.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.