07 YZ450F stripped drain bolt

34 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2007 - 09:44 PM

I haven't tried to search for it, however, years back in Thumper Talk the prescribed prevention was:
1. Keep the appropriate size/thread tap handy to use each time you drain the filter
2. Coat it with grease to hold the foreign material, fillings, etc. that the filter trapped and followed the oil down the drain hole.
3. Turn it in with your fingers to clean the threads after the oil is drained.

This procedure has protected all all four YZ's in my history. Should this be a sticky?

If you follow my recommendations as to removing the lower bolt last, instead of first, and let the filter oil drop out of the cover rather than through the threads, chasing the threads is rarely required. If it is, I find that a cotton swab dipped in clean solvent works as well as a tap, if not better, as long as there is no thread damage to repair. Push it straight in, then "thread" it out.

One other thing to note is that once a Time-Sert is installed in that hole, the source of the problem will be gone, because the cross hole that lets oil into the threads will be blocked by the insert.

• FeliX 450

Posted December 11, 2007 - 10:55 PM

lets say if the oil is still leaking out, would teflon tape help in any way?

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Not likely. There are 4 O-ring seals on the cover. If you leave a piece of something on the cover surface, it can cause a leak. Precisely where is the oil coming from? (between which two parts at what exact point?)

• FeliX 450

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:14 AM

Not likely. There are 4 O-ring seals on the cover. If you leave a piece of something on the cover surface, it can cause a leak. Precisely where is the oil coming from? (between which two parts at what exact point?)

The oil is coming out from the drain bolt. its just dripping little by little.

I was asking about the gasket on the oil filter cover because when i changd oil filter the other day the manual said it need to be replaced, but it looked fine and i kept it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 11:00 AM

You didn't quite answer the question. If the oil is coming from between the oil filter cover and the case at the lower bolt, then it an issue of 1) the O-ring around that bolt, 2) the one at the oil passage next to it, 3) the main cover O-ring, 4) debris clamped under the cover, or 5) improper torque.

If the oil is coming from between the head of the bolt and the cover, then you will need to repair the threads in the case.

• FeliX 450

Posted December 12, 2007 - 12:26 PM

You didn't quite answer the question. If the oil is coming from between the oil filter cover and the case at the lower bolt, then it an issue of 1) the O-ring around that bolt, 2) the one at the oil passage next to it, 3) the main cover O-ring, 4) debris clamped under the cover, or 5) improper torque.

If the oil is coming from between the head of the bolt and the cover, then you will need to repair the threads in the case.

that.

i repaired the thread in the case and put in a brand new bolt and the oil is still finding its way out not as much as before but still a little :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 12:34 PM

By thread repair, I mean installing a Time-Sert, or a Heli-Coil, not simply chasing the threads with a tap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FeliX 450

Posted December 12, 2007 - 12:53 PM

but see the thing is after i repaired it with tap the bolt gets tight unlike before. it would just spin around. the bolt gets nice snug. and just now i started it up again and ran it for about 3-4 minutes and it seemed fine but when i take it for a ride it starts leaking a little :busted: :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 01:50 PM

Exactly. What you're not understanding is that the threaded hole that bolt screws into has a hole drilled into it crossways about halfway down the threads. This is the hole that leads to the oil filter well. Even though you have repaired the threads to the point that they will hold the cover on, they are not in good enough condition to seal oil from running past the upper 50% of them and out at the bolt head. Again, it will require thread repair.

• sherco67

Posted December 12, 2007 - 02:37 PM

I did the thread repair with a time-sert with side cover removed and still have hole for drain still visible; used countersink and all to make sure o-ring still is flush.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 04:40 PM

You worked with the bolt identified by the arrow in the pisture on the first post of this thread?

Where did you see this "drain" hole you speak of?

Did you use the OEM bolt with the shoulder on it?

• sherco67

Posted December 12, 2007 - 05:15 PM

yes this is the bolt with shoulder, the hole was straight up in middle and the back of the sert ended up right on the edge of the hole, cover was off when i saw it, i had cover removed to change waterpump seals, and to keep any shavings at all from entering the engine, also time-serted the upper left bolt in case to keep from doing it later. (preventative)

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2007 - 05:26 PM

yes this is the bolt with shoulder, the hole was straight up in middle and the back of the sert ended up right on the edge of the hole, cover was off when i saw it, i had cover removed to change waterpump seals, and to keep any shavings at all from entering the engine, also time-serted the upper left bolt in case to keep from doing it later. (preventative)

So, the insert in your case was not long enough to occlude the drain hole? They should come in different lengths, as Heli-Coils do.

I was concerned that you may have been talking about something different, and had created a potential problem for yourself, but it sounds OK.

Personally, I'm thinking of closing that hole off from the inside of the well.

• ty151

Posted December 22, 2007 - 12:38 AM

how much did you guys pay for your Timesert kit?? Thanks

• motoag93

Posted December 22, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I did some damage to the threads on my drain bolt and was worried that I had stipped the case threads. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, only the very tip of the threads (4) on the end of the drain bolt was damaged.

Anyway, ran a tap thru (coated with grease) several times with no problems and saw only one very small thread fragment. I did notice what seemed to be a burr right about half way down the case threads, and I think that is what caused the damage to the bolt threads.

I'm thinking that a small metal fragment got caught in that drain hole and I tightened the bolt and smeared that metal fragment (creating the burr). Not sure that I will ever know but..... crappy place to put a drain hole (on the dirty side of a filter anyway). I will continue to follow Gray's procedure for draining oil but I had been doing that since the beginning.....bottom line is to keep a tap (and grease) handy to clear the threads if you feel something "funny". And buy a torque wrench if you don't have one...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.