07 YZ450F stripped drain bolt

34 replies to this topic
  • FeliX 450

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:52 PM

So i was changing the oil and when i was putting it back in it would not get snug and and would just spinning around, i took it out and it was stripped and there were little metal shavings around it :thumbsup: What would be the best way to fix it? Do you think the inside is messed up too?

its was this bolt:
Posted Image

• todds924

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:55 PM

So i was changing the oil and when i was putting it back in it would not get snug and and would just spinning around, i took it out and it was stripped and there were little metal shavings around it :thumbsup: What would be the best way to fix it? Do you think the inside is messed up too?

its was this bolt:
Posted Image

Your best way to fix that would be to use a Timesert. Not a heli-coil, but a Timesert.

• FeliX 450

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:00 PM

Your best way to fix that would be to use a Timesert. Not a heli-coil, but a Timesert.

do you know where i can get them?

• todds924

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:05 PM

A good Auto parts store or industrial hardware store should be able to help you out. I got mine from the Snap- On Dealer. I don't recall the proper thread pitch off hand but I believe its a 5mm by 1.25. These things come in a little kit That has an assortment of inserts, taps and drill bits. They work excellent.

• FeliX 450

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:25 PM

How hard/easy is it too do?

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Find a dealer here:

http://www.timesert....istributor.html

You need a 6x1.0 mm kit.

• Wiz636

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:02 PM

There is a slight chance that you will be able to recover the threads by chasing it with a 6 X 1.0 tap.

Read this to learn more and to prevent it from happening again: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=575367

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Find a dealer here:

http://www.timesert....istributor.html

You need a 6x1.0 mm kit.

Thanks gray! The proper size slipped my mind for a second.

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:44 PM

How hard/easy is it too do?

If your very meticulous and work slow.....Its very easy to do. The instructions with the kit are pretty self explanatory.

• sherco67

Posted December 08, 2007 - 03:32 PM

welcome to my world, i got the same problem and will fix at christmas break, but if you look at bolt it is too long to repair at cover only, i just bought waterpump seals, main cover gasket and a new bolt along with time sert, the primary cover has to be removed to repair that thread area, use grease on drill bit and tap to catch metal shavings, good luck with it all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted December 08, 2007 - 05:49 PM

welcome to my world, i got the same problem and will fix at christmas break, but if you look at bolt it is too long to repair at cover only, i just bought waterpump seals, main cover gasket and a new bolt along with time sert, the primary cover has to be removed to repair that thread area, use grease on drill bit and tap to catch metal shavings, good luck with it all.

Good point! That bolt does thread into the engine case itself and not the clutch cover. OOOps....upper right bolt is the one that goes all the way through to the crankcase...sorry

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Begging your pardon, gentlemen, but the lower filter cover bolt does not thread into the crankcase. The forward upper bolt is the only one of the 3 that does that.

• FeliX 450

Posted December 11, 2007 - 11:06 AM

i was changing oil yesterday and realized there is no washer :banghead: the bokt is stripped a little on the very end but with washer it should be fine. i will pick one up today and let you all know.

• Justin89

Posted December 11, 2007 - 11:45 AM

WOW I had this same problem but with the main drain bolt on the left side. One question though: I have noticed that on my 06' yz450 that same bolt seems very sketchy to me. It dosent seem to go in as easy as all the other bolts but it goes in(..without major force of course. Im not cranking the thing in or anything) Has anyone else had this problem? I have read that that bolt is prone to stripping and breaking for some reason. Should I look out or what?:banghead: or not worry about it. I just want some peace of mind when changing the oil because I change the oil very frequently. Thanks:worthy: :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Did you read this, or not?:

http://www.thumperta...890#post5550890

• Justin89

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Sorry, if you were speaking to me, I didn't. But that is very helpful to know! I have had trouble with drain bolts in the past so I am always nevous when I loosen/tighten mine.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Yep. The trouble with them is the design. The use of that bolt as a drain contaminates the threads with crap from the filter well. If you avoid using the bolt as a drain as much as you can, you avoid most of the trouble associated with it. :banghead:

• DRTYHRRY

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:44 PM

I haven't tried to search for it, however, years back in Thumper Talk the prescribed prevention was:
1. Keep the appropriate size/thread tap handy to use each time you drain the filter
2. Coat it with grease to hold the foreign material, fillings, etc. that the filter trapped and followed the oil down the drain hole.
3. Turn it in with your fingers to clean the threads after the oil is drained.

This procedure has protected all all four YZ's in my history. Should this be a sticky?

• Justin89

Posted December 11, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Thats a good idea with the grease...I never thought about that. I'm gonna do that now because I change my oil so often. I hate breaking important bolts (like drain bolts) so I want to avoid it as much as possible. Will the bolt get weak from frequent tightening/lossening? I change my oil very frequently so if it does weaken, I am going to order a new one from YAMAHA a.s.a.p!

• FeliX 450

Posted December 11, 2007 - 08:12 PM

kind off topic question, but here it goes....is it really necessary to change the seal on the oil filter cover when changing the oil filter?

My Dad has thread making tool by Craftsman and just now we rethreaded the inside and i bought a new bolt from a local yamaha dealer. the bolt went in fine and seems to be tight now. I will start the bike up tomorrow and God i hope its not leaking the oil anymore :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.