Husky Memorial in January

17 replies to this topic
  • sploogemonkey

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I've never been there, but I'd like to find it.

I'll be heading out to Fremont Peak for a weekend camping trip in January sometime, and I know that the Husky Memorial site is approx 20 miles east of Fremont Peak.

Has anybody here been to either Fremont or the Memorial? Anyone know of an existing map or GPS coordinates to help me find the Memorial?

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Check here http://thebannerisup...husky-route.htm

• sploogemonkey

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the tip, 510. :thumbsup:

I used the GPS coordinates from the route sheet and was able to pinpoint the monument using Google and even got some great aerial views showing the trail system from Cuddeback all the way to the monument and back.

Have you ever ridden the route from Cuddeback to the monument? Since I'm going on a family camping trip, I'd like to be able to take my wife along on her quad. Is the trail pretty technical, or relatively easy? The aerial views look like I can choose a few different paths to avoid the mountain range, my wife is definitely not willing to climb/descend any grades.

• martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:40 PM

what is this?

• cleonard

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:51 PM

There is a good dirt road that you can take from Cuddyback to the monument. Just watch out for buggies going really fast on the road. There are also a few trails that will get you there.

It's pretty easy to find once you know where to turn. I've been known to ride there at night and I never need or use a GPS.

MF30, the monument to fallen riders. It started out with one John Erickson. His friends planted his Husky in concrete out there sometime in the 80's. Over the years the number of memorials has grown.

You can get directions and see photos with a few searches in the California section.

http://www.thumperta...hlight=monument

The route shown works, but its easier to just take the road from the extreme souther end of Cuddyback. If you miss the turn at the big Joshua tree you will hit a mine. The mine is about 1/2 mile to far. Backtrack to the Big Joshua tree junction.

• martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:56 PM

oh cool, thanks!

• sploogemonkey

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:55 PM

martinfan30,

We'll have to plan a weekend ride sometime when you can come down and we'll do some riding and shooting up by Fremont Peak. I've got a spot with a perfect back drop for blastin' away some lead, and there's tons of trails and a huge dry lake bed (Cuddeback) only a few miles away.

The Husky Monument is about 20 miles east of the campsite as well, perfect for a rideout.

Here are some shots of the campsite taken over the last couple of years.

The campsite
Posted Image

My son with his Ruger Single Six and his Browning BL22 lever action ready for a day of .22 plinking.
Posted Image

Me an' my AR
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 11:01 PM

very nice splooge! that looks like a great spot. my dad, my bro brandon and myself would like to come on down and do a few days. looks like some nice hardware!

we usually get to do 2-3 dual sport rides a year(wifes willing!). for this one though we would prob take the patio hauler and stuff the bikes in back. our next trip may just be down your way, may-june-ish. will keep in mind.:thumbsup:

• sploogemonkey

Posted December 07, 2007 - 08:31 AM

we usually get to do 2-3 dual sport rides a year(wifes willing!). for this one though we would prob take the patio hauler and stuff the bikes in back. our next trip may just be down your way, may-june-ish. will keep in mind.:thumbsup:

Sounds like a potential So-Cal Campin', Ridin' Shootin' get-together may be in the works for late Spring of '08.:busted: :busted:

Maybe with this much time to plan, enough members with similar interests might join in and make a group camp-out a possibility?

I'm all for it!

Here's a pic on one of the peaks with Cuddeback Lake in the background when it was actually flooded after a big rain. I'm the guy in the blue sweatshirt.

Posted Image

Another shot, same ride, this time on the valley floor.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted December 07, 2007 - 08:38 AM

:thumbsup: i will start talking to my dad and bud. that is a a definate possibilty for us! will definately do my best to convince the wife to let me go. that looks alot like where i grew up riding at a place called soggy dry lake off of besemer mine road.

oh by the way, is beer the beverage of choice??:busted:

• sploogemonkey

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:04 AM

:busted: i will start talking to my dad and bud. that is a a definate possibilty for us! will definately do my best to convince the wife to let me go. that looks alot like where i grew up riding at a place called soggy dry lake off of besemer mine road.

oh by the way, is beer the beverage of choice??:busted:

Beer....... what's that? :thumbsup:

My current refrigerator inhabitants..... :ride: :lol:

Posted Image

• xr650l bum

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:12 AM

Alcohol, guns, dirtbikes, and probably all in that order. What could go wrong? Im in! Maybe ma and I will move the trailer/homestead out there for a couple weeks for a change of scenery.

• sploogemonkey

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Alcohol, guns, dirtbikes, and probably all in that order. What could go wrong?

DOH!!!!!!!

The Four Rules of Firearms Handling
by Jeff Cooper

Rule 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

Read it......

Know it.....

Live it.......

I'm all for knockin' back a few brews after a long ride and sittin' around the campfire with a cold one, but shootin' time is shootin' time. NOT DRINKIN' TIME.

Sorry folks, but I'm a real stickler for firearm safety, which is why I shoot in the desert and not at public ranges.

Safety first..... always.

• martinfan30

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Alcohol, guns, dirtbikes, and probably all in that order. What could go wrong? Im in! Maybe ma and I will move the trailer/homestead out there for a couple weeks for a change of scenery.

SMonkey im with ya 100 percent.

i dont know what xrbum is talking about, he apparently hangs with the wrong people.:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:07 AM

LMAO guns and riding and laughing at drunk guys IM IN BABY!!!!
SLPOOGE where abouts is this area???? looks like local so cal desert
thats out back of red mountain right?

• martinfan30

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:38 AM

ya, red mountain. were gonna do it.

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:58 AM

heck thats so close up the road like 45 miles is all for me. im down to bring a few bikes and the trailer out

• martinfan30

Posted December 17, 2007 - 12:48 PM

will let all who is interested when we can pick a weekend. prob fri-mon.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.