help! rebuild went south

9 replies to this topic
  • btray

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:51 AM

Brother-in-law just rebuilt his 250f and it ran good for about 5 hours...then it became hard to crank or kick through, and will not start...he is a pretty good mechanic. Anybody got any ideas before we tare it back down?

Thanks Bill

• nap__kxf

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:59 AM

did you put oil in it? radiator fluid? check the simple stuff first...and since its a 250f you might wantto ask in that forum since they might be better equipped to handle this...

also he might have possibly gotten water in the cylinder, i'v heard it makes it next to impossible to kick your bike over if you do, but i'm not sure how that works

• BC3

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like a nut has backed off and is hitting the inside of the case or maybe
you didn't set-up enough clearance on the big end bearing (If you rebuilt the crankshaft) Hard to guess, could be a bunch of things....Just take it apart...
I would start with the clutch cover first..

• todds924

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Brother-in-law just rebuilt his 250f and it ran good for about 5 hours...then it became hard to crank or kick through, and will not start...he is a pretty good mechanic. Anybody got any ideas before we tare it back down?

Thanks Bill

I believe your problem is going to be in the valvetrain. If its gotten hard to turn over. pull the valve cover and check it out. First check your valve clearances. Then pull the cam caps off and look for scoring on the caps and cam journals. If all that checks out . try and take the cams out and while holding the chain up with your hand, see how easy it is to turn the engine over by hand. I have seen a few 250's that were not set up with the proper valve clearance do this. Good luck and post what you find!!!!

• stock510

Posted December 07, 2007 - 12:40 AM

I would check to make sure that you havnt over tightened the cam caps, which is easy to do without a torque wrench if thats whats happened, other than that I am not sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • btray

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:17 PM

You were right the cam caps were to tight and journels scored...what is the best way to fix this problem or is the head trash?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Send the head to Engine Dynamics. They have done many of these repairs.

• btray

Posted December 09, 2007 - 05:52 AM

What do you estimate the cost would be? ballpark

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Sorry, no idea, but it's my understanding that it's far less than a new blank head ($600). Contact them and tell them what you have; a YZF that needs the cam bores line bored.

• btray

Posted December 09, 2007 - 09:37 PM

thanks gray will pass it on to brother-in-law.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.