left hand rear brake

9 replies to this topic
  • atropine

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:44 AM

I'm coming back to Yamaha. My first bike was an 02 YZ426; I sold it a few months ago when a friend made me a killer deal on his 05 KTM 450MXC. It was a great bike, but too heavy for my liking. So I traded it for an 06 YZ450. I love this bike. I feel so much more comfortable on this bike. The KTM had a Rekluse with an adjustable clutch lever, so I rode it just like a normal bike except it never stalled when the trail got tight and technical. This YZ has a Revloc clutch with no clutch lever. When I first rode it I hated it; but after about 15 minutes of riding I started to like it and it just grew on me more and more the rest of the ride. I would like to add a left hand rear brake, but I'm not sure what my options are. I know Rekluse makes one; does anyone have experience with these and/or any advice?

• DougWood

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:16 AM

You will love the LHRB.:thumbsup: Have one on my KTM now, getting one soon for my KX250f. more precise rear braking control, easier braking while standing. You can get a dual activated one if you want to keep the foot brake. I took my foot lever off, don't need it at all. The rekluse parts are also good quality with SS brake lines.

• todds924

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:51 PM

I'm coming back to Yamaha. My first bike was an 02 YZ426; I sold it a few months ago when a friend made me a killer deal on his 05 KTM 450MXC. It was a great bike, but too heavy for my liking. So I traded it for an 06 YZ450. I love this bike. I feel so much more comfortable on this bike. The KTM had a Rekluse with an adjustable clutch lever, so I rode it just like a normal bike except it never stalled when the trail got tight and technical. This YZ has a Revloc clutch with no clutch lever. When I first rode it I hated it; but after about 15 minutes of riding I started to like it and it just grew on me more and more the rest of the ride. I would like to add a left hand rear brake, but I'm not sure what my options are. I know Rekluse makes one; does anyone have experience with these and/or any advice?

My boss has one on his WR 450 and swears by it. He also has a Rekluse he swears by also.

• jwidd

Posted December 07, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Sounds like you need all the help you can get. You must ride with fast guys. Good luck with your brake.

• rooster wrooster

Posted December 08, 2007 - 01:59 PM

I have A Rekluse and a left hand rear brake (LHRB) for my '06 450. I really like them both but the LHRB could use a couple of improvements.

After getting the brake line bled and everything mounted correctly, the LHRB feels as firm as the front brake, not spongy at all, but while the front brake will lock up the tire at about 50% of the travel distance to the bar, the LHRB needs to be pulled about 90% of the travel distance to the bar. It gets very firm at about 50% of the travel and you think it will lock up the brake but it needs to be pulled in almost the rest of the way to the bar to skid the tire.

I have gotten in the habit of keeping one finger on the LHRB almost all of the time, but because of your finger being so close to the pivot point of the lever, you can't pull hard enough with your finger to lock the rear brake. Sliding the entire assembly as far in on the bar as possible (as I have done) gives you a little more distance from the pivot point but it is not enough. More adjustment here would be nice.

Here are my thoughts on the Rekluse dual rear brake set up. I installed the LHRB with the rekluse and got rid of the foot brake. The first thing I noticed was that on panic stops, I would be searching for the foot brake out of habit. Under normal braking it was not a problem because I could think about what I was doing and use the hand brake. There were a couple of close calls,though, where I almost didn't stop in time when something unexpected came up. I decided I had better get the dual set up for safety reasons.

Now fast forward a few months. I've re-trained myself to use the LHRB and rarely use the foot break. As a matter of fact it is more dangerous now to have the 2 rear brakes for a different reason. If you go for both brakes at the same time, which I have done a few times, the LHRB will be locked as soon as you step on the foot break. When this happens your are momentarily confused and don't depress the foot brake as far as you should because, under normal conditions, when the LHRB stops moving you are at full travel and should be getting full braking. This has resulted in a couple of scary moments. So now I am back to where I started with only the LHRB.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF250X Rider

Posted December 08, 2007 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like you need all the help you can get. You must ride with fast guys. Good luck with your brake.

What the hells that supposed to mean?

• atropine

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:03 PM

What the hells that supposed to mean?

jwidd is one of the guys I ride with regularly. He was having a little fun with me here.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to order one of these setups and do away with the foot brake and see how I like it. I wonder if I could get a Zeta matching lever for it (I have a Zeta front brake lever on the right side)...

• davidwaters

Posted April 30, 2008 - 03:32 PM

I seem to remember reading on part of the forum about using a Magura clutch master cylinder and custom brake line for a left hand rear brake. That's what I want to do when I get my Rekluse, but I'd like to see someone do a detailed write up on a Yamaha... I think this type might have more stopping power/less travel than using the Rekluse setup that retains the normal rear brake lever.

Here I found it:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=540106

Hope this helps.

• biznet1

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:28 AM

I had the rekluse and a left hand rear brake on a 06CRF450. It takes some getting used to. It makes right hand turns easier but it's important to bleed it as much as possible because it is a bit spongy with the distance to the rear caliper. I loved the rekluse and thought about getting it for my YZ but haven't. I have to say, it took longer for me to get used to NOT having it than it did having it. With all of my spills the bike never stalled a single time. Just pick it up and twist. Turning was the biggest advantage I noticed even without the rear hand brake.

• davidwaters

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:46 PM

From the tech forums:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=336626

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.