10 replies to this topic
  • freestyle111

Posted April 01, 2002 - 01:07 PM

there's dual sport ride coming up. Posted Image

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• BFLee

Posted April 01, 2002 - 01:21 PM

Do you need to be street legal?

How gnarly is the terrain? I could take my DR650 'Street Princess', but the tires are pretty bald. And its actually never touched the ground with anything but the tires and kickstand, so it's absolutely pristine and I don't want to mess it up.

• freestyle111

Posted April 01, 2002 - 01:39 PM

yes,you need license plate.some of ride is on paved county roads.im not sure how difficult terrain will be.i usually ride opposite side sierras[dodge ridge,deercreek and frasier flats].ive only rode at elkins flat area one time.its going to be my first time going on this dualsport run.most of the dual sport rides ive gone on have had alternate routes for novice and experts riders.the last dual sport i rode was the "Ridge Runner" and there were guys with street tires on brand new klr650's and dr650's.they made it to finishline![but from the parts i saw scattered along side of trail. there fenders,blinkers and kickstands werent so lucky]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 01, 2002 - 01:50 PM

freestyle,
How much pavement vs dirt road vs single track? Will the course be going thru single track that is not normally open to riding? I've ridden Elkins Flat a couple of times - will the ride go to that area?

Brian

• BFLee

Posted April 01, 2002 - 02:52 PM

Well, I guess I could take the license plate off the DR and put it on the WR for the day :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted April 01, 2002 - 03:02 PM

bflee,that good idea.a couple of my buddies have been using the license plates off their streetbike to ride dualsports for years without getting busted. ive posted all information i have.i only received entry form in mail a few days ago.if you are interested i suggest you call or email person listed on entry form.dont delay they are only accepting the first 125 riders.me and 4 of my buddies have already entered so that brings number down to 120.

• BFLee

Posted April 01, 2002 - 03:15 PM

thanks freestyle

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 02, 2002 - 02:29 PM

Sorry Freestyle - I just assumed you were a member of the club putting the event on.

Brian

• freestyle111

Posted May 02, 2002 - 04:53 AM

who's going on this ride?

• BFLee

Posted May 02, 2002 - 04:11 PM

Sorry, I'm out. My club (OTHG) is having a thing that day.

• Chaindrive

Posted May 02, 2002 - 04:51 PM

Hey BFLee, I have your princess' twin sister. Must be the ugly twin, though it has only one scratch, I can't find her a good home...

What DO you do with orphaned Suzi Q's? Suzuki should recall them for falsely advertising and disguising them as "dual sport". I know the DR400 is supposed to be for real, but I'll never buy another Suzi Q just because they screwed me once, and that is too often.

I geared it WAY down: I still get nervous at the 100mph mark as the big front fender starts para-sailing the front wheel! Torque is a joke: with an engine 13 times smaller, my kid kicks my butt. Handlebars are useless: on the easiest track they have NO effect at all when you encounter such tricky situations as a gentle corner...It's really embarrassing when QUAD riders comment how heavy it is when they stop to lift it off you...

I still can't sell it! You think it's my sales pitch? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.