here are some available h/p #'s out of the 650L

31 replies to this topic
  • Fab Shack Racing

Posted December 05, 2007 - 11:24 PM

I have the 650L conversion in a couple of sand drag quads, after 10+ yrs. of r&d and multiple builds, we are getting some decent dyno results and a handful of power to hold onto on the track, 76.8 h/p and 57.5 torque
Just thought I'd share this for those who think their power is maximized, this engine has alot to offer if modded enough.
This is an all-motor run on methonal (alky) , 717cc's, stock stroke, 105.5 bore, custom 13.5:1 piston, custom cam, custom rod, dual fcr39 carbs, custom drag pipes, ported head, custom intake, +1 valves.
The 650L motor can be built up to 794cc's, 761cc and below will stay together the longest, and can be dune-ridden all day.

• Maroast

Posted December 05, 2007 - 11:36 PM

I have the 650L conversion in a couple of sand drag quads, after 10+ yrs. of r&d and multiple builds, we are getting some decent dyno results and a handful of power to hold onto on the track, 76.8 h/p and 57.5 torque
Just thought I'd share this for those who think their power is maximized, this engine has alot to offer if modded enough.
This is an all-motor run on methonal (alky) , 717cc's, stock stroke, 105.5 bore, custom 13.5:1 piston, custom cam, custom rod, dual fcr39 carbs, custom drag pipes, ported head, custom intake, +1 valves.
The 650L motor can be built up to 794cc's, 761cc and below will stay together the longest, and can be dune-ridden all day.

Great first post! Welcome to TT.

Where in TX are you?

• Fab Shack Racing

Posted December 05, 2007 - 11:39 PM

I'm located South of Houston, TX

• Fab Shack Racing

Posted December 05, 2007 - 11:48 PM

http://www.exriders....threadid=326861

• mgs781

Posted December 06, 2007 - 04:31 AM

What do you get on pump gas?

Your numbers are impressive but you are really comparing apples to oranges. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone here wants to run on methonal, its a dual sport bike after all.

Do you run twin carb XL heads to have dual 39mm FCRs?

Post some pics,

• martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:43 AM

have you broken any cases? stock oil pump? oil squirter?

• Bibleman

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Great thread - hoping for more:prof:

• Fab Shack Racing

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Super-unleaded pump gas motors may yeild around 55 horse or so, I don't mess with pump gas motors much in the sand drag scene.

Yes I run the older twin carb XL heads for the dual fcr39's, a single tm48 works just about as good on the L head also.

I have broken many cases, crankshaft big end pins, snapped rods in half, you name it, it's the nature of the race world.

Yes, stock oil pump, no squirters , I have found a coating called Casidium from Anatech that I have the wrist pins coated in, it is the solution for galling on the small end rod and wrist pin, the stuff absolutely will not wear, all my race motors wrist pins and rods look like new at dis-assembly, I used to go through rods and wrist pins due to galling alot, even a stock motor will gall the pin and rod because there is no oil squirter, just a splash system.

Hope to have answered some of your questions.

How do you post pics on here ???

• HawkGT

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Great thread - hoping for more:prof:

+1

It's neat to see someone pushing the limits with the venerable XRL engine. :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:34 PM

....How do you post pics on here ???

You'll need to upload them to a site like Photobucket (that's what I use, used ImageShack a while back and it's not as good). Once they're uploaded you copy and paste the URL into your post and surround the URL with img tags.

Like: the url for the image here

Sounds more complicated than it is. Once your setup with photobucket it's fast and easy to upload pics and share them on websites. I don't even upload directly to forums anymore when posting pics, I just use Photobucket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Yes, stock oil pump, no squirters , I have found a coating called Casidium from Anatech that I have the wrist pins coated in, it is the solution for galling on the small end rod and wrist pin, the stuff absolutely will not wear, all my race motors wrist pins and rods look like new at dis-assembly, I used to go through rods and wrist pins due to galling alot, even a stock motor will gall the pin and rod because there is no oil squirter, just a splash system.

Casidiam is neat stuff, also know as DLC or diamond-like carbon. Lots of other race teams use it on wrist pins and valves. The Ti valves look cool with a glossy black coating on the head. I also have some with a titanium nitride coating or something and it's a killer on cutting tools.

What about using a caged roller bearing on the rod small end like the Carillos? I'm kind of putting out feelers for the feasibility of turbocharging....:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted December 07, 2007 - 12:15 AM

I'm kind of putting out feelers for the feasibility of turbocharging....:thumbsup:

Well we do have a data point here that 72+ hp is doable in a reliable way. Perhaps you need to run alcohol with the stock 8.6:1 piston and you turbocharger.

A plus that I discovered with my sparky ticket is that a turbocharger is an acceptable spark arrestor. No need for a restrictive sparky.

• crmc33

Posted December 07, 2007 - 02:46 AM

nice HP,

as cleonard says with enough money and time, aslmost anything is possible. I guess the hard bit is doing it on the cheap!

Ive hit 55RWHP with my 675cc XRL with pump fuel (95-99 RON available here). Just in the process of sorting out the ignition aiming for 60HP. Also building another (XL) head with twin carbs.

All with std rod, gbox, valves, HRC cam, hard welded rockers, ported head, 102.4mm piston (10.25:1), HSR48 carb (pumper off).

Once I get the 60HP aimed for then I expect I'll be putting my efforts into a slipper clutch design.

Have pondered trying some bioethanol but can be bothered with the storage hassle! :thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted December 07, 2007 - 07:13 AM

but! my question is - since your obviously a well experienced racer and race engine builder, which one has motre HP in stock trim the XL600R or the XR650L. My money is on the XL600R.

• martinfan30

Posted December 07, 2007 - 07:46 AM

but! my question is - since your obviously a well experienced racer and race engine builder, which one has motre HP in stock trim the XL600R or the XR650L. My money is on the XL600R.

im with ya.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 07, 2007 - 08:38 AM

All stock? No question in my mind it'll be the XLR, not the XRL.

Dave

• stepho

Posted December 07, 2007 - 10:12 AM

Super-unleaded pump gas motors may yeild around 55 horse or so, I don't mess with pump gas motors much in the sand drag scene.

pheeew, I was starting to question my manhood. Looks like We are definatly in the ball park.

• HeadTrauma

Posted December 07, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Well we do have a data point here that 72+ hp is doable in a reliable way. Perhaps you need to run alcohol with the stock 8.6:1 piston and you turbocharger.

A plus that I discovered with my sparky ticket is that a turbocharger is an acceptable spark arrestor. No need for a restrictive sparky.

72hp? Hmm, even my little turbo wouldn't be breaking a sweat at that. It can support up to 130 and no less than 50. I also have a 600R, not 650L, so the compression is regrettably a little high for pump gas and boost. Funny thing about a turbo is that it not only is legally qualified as a spark arrestor, it also acts somewhat as a muffler.

• crmc33

Posted December 07, 2007 - 03:38 PM

which is the faster motor btwn the XL and XRL?

I havent had the chance to test back to back. But, looking at the head's there is a version of the XL which has twin 32mm inlets as standard - and this is the ones Ive started to tune. It looks to have bags more scope for porting than the XRL, without having to remove serious amounts of metal and do much or any welding.

Comparing the cranks, the XL crank is nicer. It has wasted sections to the flywheel web forgings to make it lighter and it runs a lighter balancer shaft. I think this is one of the main reasons a stock XL will tend to outgun a stock XRL even if they run out of go at similar speeds. The XL crank just seems to have a more refined classier finish about it, even the balancer shaft is tidier. Maybe it was made before Honda really started to get the cost out of the engine parts.

Id love to use a head like Stepho's gator but I havent really got the time or money to be making such big changes to the intake shape. Maybe one day eh!

This weekends job is to start wiring up the MSD ignition so I hope that gives a few more top end HP as well as the midrange power improvements Im sure it will bring.

• stepho

Posted December 07, 2007 - 10:42 PM

crmc thanks for the prop's. The twin carb setup you have is definatly the cheaper route. I think we would have used that head if the injection was not going to suck your you know whats right through the intake track. Low seating position you know what I mean. The earlier version had just two velocity stacks looking right at your eyes. Sure is cool looking at wide open throttle. Good luck with the wiring sparky.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.