kick starter/clutch basket xr600

4 replies to this topic
  • fc501

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Before I take it to the Honda dealer, do I really need to remove the entire clutch assembly to install the kick starter spindle? The spring broke but I believe I not install it with the clutch assembly intact.
I rather not mess it. I broke one before when removing it or reassembling one on my CR 500.
I just dont have the tool for that.
Any suggestions?

• Horri

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Clutch needs to come out..Method: leave the chain on the Sprockets and engine in the bike.Get a metal drift and put it through one of the holes in the rear Sprocket and Lock it against the Swingarm so the wheel can't move forward..Put the bike in gear.Get an electric impact drill(Like they use in tyre shops)Apply impact pressure to the nut after removing the locking tab on it,, nut comes off in an anti-clockwise direction.It should give way and you can then do your repair .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:28 PM

I have done the same kind of thing, but just used the rear brake to hold it from turning.

Be sure to use fifth gear. That way the brake does not need to hold as much torque.

• creeky

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:56 PM

I use the electric impact wrench method, makes it easy.

• fc501

Posted December 07, 2007 - 10:48 AM

thanks for the replies. will try it. thanks

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.