2008 YZ450F Questions

27 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Wanting to buy a pipe for this bike. 08 YZ450F. I was going to go with a Dr. D or a pro circuit GP4 Ti complete system. What do you guys think? Jetting as well? Also what was the concensus on taking out the screen on the filter and going with a twin air filter. I've heard that the fire resistant foam was more restrictive then the standard two stage filter with screen.

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:55 PM

They're both good pipes. The DRD on '06/'07's muscles up the low/mid range quite a bit, and still pulls all the way out on top. todds924 has a PC pipe on his '08; ask him about it.

Removing the backfire screen won't help you. I don't know if the flame resistant foam is any more restrictive ( I kind of doubt it), but the trouble is that normal high performance foam air filter elements are restrictive than the screen is. The screen simply isn't the bottleneck.

In '03 or '04 when Doug Henry was riding a YZ450 super moto prior to going to the Timex team, his builders tried a number of different airbox setups on the dyno and arrived at the conclusion that removing the screen was a no gainer. I've done some flow testing with them and got similar results.

• Racer808

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:08 AM

Get the yoshimura! The pipe gave my bike so much balls through out the entire power band. But you have to remove the quiet cone insert / spark arrestor thingy. I have had Dr D pipes and they are good, but the Yosh gave it just as much bottom end and mid if not more, and it gave me tons of over rev which Dr d never really did for my other bikes. The biggest bonus is you do not have to losen or move the header to change your oil filter like you do with the Dr D, the white bros and some others I have heard of. And you can bolt the heat sheild from your stock pipe onto the Yosh, which you cant with others. If you look under "regions" - Rocky mountains", there is a guy named Endurodog and he bought some FMF slip on and kept the stock header and swears by it. Havnt had a chance to ride is bike, but I see him at some tracks so I will.

I hightly reccomend the Yoshimura RS-2, its my first yosh pipe and I have never been happier. My jetting wont work for you since I am at 5200 feet, but I used a 44 pilot and a 155 main, needle is stock

• Racer808

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:10 AM

They're both good pipes. The DRD on '06/'07's muscles up the low/mid range quite a bit, and still pulls all the way out on top. todds924 has a PC pipe on his '08; ask him about it.

Removing the backfire screen won't help you. I don't know if the flame resistant foam is any more restrictive ( I kind of doubt it), but the trouble is that normal high performance foam air filter elements are restrictive than the screen is. The screen simply isn't the bottleneck.

In '03 or '04 when Doug Henry was riding a YZ450 super moto prior to going to the Timex team, his builders tried a number of different airbox setups on the dyno and arrived at the conclusion that removing the screen was a no gainer. I've done some flow testing with them and got similar results.

I deffintaley agree with Grey on this. But I noticed a HUGE difference on my pipe when I removed the quiet cone looking thing that functions as a silencer and spark arretor. The screen types I dont think block anything.

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:02 AM

I deffintaley agree with Grey on this. But I noticed a HUGE difference on my pipe when I removed the quiet cone looking thing that functions as a silencer and spark arretor. The screen types I dont think block anything.

He's talking about the screen in the air filter mounting cage.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Get the yoshimura! The pipe gave my bike so much balls through out the entire power band. But you have to remove the quiet cone insert / spark arrestor thingy. I have had Dr D pipes and they are good, but the Yosh gave it just as much bottom end and mid if not more, and it gave me tons of over rev which Dr d never really did for my other bikes. The biggest bonus is you do not have to losen or move the header to change your oil filter like you do with the Dr D, the white bros and some others I have heard of. And you can bolt the heat sheild from your stock pipe onto the Yosh, which you cant with others. If you look under "regions" - Rocky mountains", there is a guy named Endurodog and he bought some FMF slip on and kept the stock header and swears by it. Havnt had a chance to ride is bike, but I see him at some tracks so I will.

I hightly reccomend the Yoshimura RS-2, its my first yosh pipe and I have never been happier. My jetting wont work for you since I am at 5200 feet, but I used a 44 pilot and a 155 main, needle is stock

Are you riding an 08 model 450?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Gray! I'm sure that either pipe on the '08 would be better than the '06 with stock pipe? My '06 with stock pipe ripped! Thanks again

• Racer808

Posted December 06, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Are you riding an 08 model 450?

Yes sir, got the white and red one! I met a guy at the track a few weeks back with a blue 08 and he put the Dr D on it, said he loved it but it lacked over rev and the header blocks the oil filter. Those were his only complaints. I really really really like my Yoshimura. I actually ordered the new White Brothers back in Sept when I got the bike, it kept getting back ordered and I ran out of patience and cancelled and got the Yosh. Cant tell you how happy I am with that decision. I dont care for having to move the header to remove the oil filter and so far, reading from other 08 owners on this blog, I am the only one that doesnt have to!

• todds924

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Yes sir, got the white and red one! I met a guy at the track a few weeks back with a blue 08 and he put the Dr D on it, said he loved it but it lacked over rev and the header blocks the oil filter. Those were his only complaints. I really really really like my Yoshimura. I actually ordered the new White Brothers back in Sept when I got the bike, it kept getting back ordered and I ran out of patience and cancelled and got the Yosh. Cant tell you how happy I am with that decision. I dont care for having to move the header to remove the oil filter and so far, reading from other 08 owners on this blog, I am the only one that doesnt have to!

You don't have to remove anything with a Pro Circuit Ti-4 system.

• MotoXT

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:25 PM

I've got the Dr. D on my '08 and love it. I've been able to adjust it so the oil filter cap comes off no problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chilio

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:23 PM

I went with the DrD Ti/Ti system and love it, but the biggest improvement was the R & D Powerbowl and jetting.

I also just changed my gearing to 14/52 and heard that it was the hot setup, can't wait to try it this weekend if it doesn't rain too much.

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I went with the DrD Ti/Ti system and love it, but the biggest improvement was the R & D Powerbowl and jetting.

I also just changed my gearing to 14/52 and heard that it was the hot setup, can't wait to try it this weekend if it doesn't rain too much.

Let us know how that 52 rear sprocket works! What track you gonna try it out on? I missed you at Cahuilla this past weekend for Vet X race! You still doing the series? Next weekend is Glen Helen Saturday and Sunday!

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2007 - 10:44 AM

13/49 (stock) and 14/52 are the same ratio (within 2%) :banghead:

• Chilio

Posted December 08, 2007 - 01:05 PM

Let us know how that 52 rear sprocket works! What track you gonna try it out on? I missed you at Cahuilla this past weekend for Vet X race! You still doing the series? Next weekend is Glen Helen Saturday and Sunday!

Doesn't look like its going to happen this weekend. I'm still in the series and plan on racing Glen Helen next weekend...currently I'm in second.

13/49 (stock) and 14/52 are the same ratio (within 2%) :banghead:

True...but from what I understand (not really but have been told) it effects the gear ratio and in turn effects the handling

• Throwingdirt

Posted December 08, 2007 - 01:42 PM

I agree with the Yoshimura. Its powerful and strong on my '03 YZ450. The only thing is that I got a $175.00 ticket for not passing a sound test in Stonyford,Ca. He told me I have to buy the FMF Q. ( So I ripped off in a wheelie towards camp.)

• bingslee

Posted December 11, 2007 - 09:18 PM

GOT AKRAPOVICH EVO FULL SYSTEM ON MY 08 YZ450F.
BOLTS STRAIGHT ON WITH STOCK JETTING AND BLEW THE STOCK PIPE INTO THE BIN. GRUNT DOWN LOW AND FULL OVER REV. 2 MORE TEETH ON BACK SPROCKET. I WEIGH 220lb.
this thing cracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 12, 2007 - 09:14 AM

GOT AKRAPOVICH EVO FULL SYSTEM ON MY 08 YZ450F.
BOLTS STRAIGHT ON WITH STOCK JETTING AND BLEW THE STOCK PIPE INTO THE BIN. GRUNT DOWN LOW AND FULL OVER REV. 2 MORE TEETH ON BACK SPROCKET. I WEIGH 220lb.
this thing cracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking at the akrapovic evo and was wondering what price you paid?

• bingslee

Posted December 13, 2007 - 02:10 PM

1695 aud for evo full titanium system
i think the stainless system a few hunge cheaper
worth the dollars! cheaper for you in the states for sure.

• bingslee

Posted December 13, 2007 - 07:02 PM

http://au.msnusers.com/motox
hope this works, not easy to post a photo for first time!

• DPW

Posted December 13, 2007 - 07:07 PM

http://au.msnusers.com/motox
hope this works, not easy to post a photo for first time!

Don't see anything....no pic

right click the picture and go to properties and you want the location...should end in .jpg

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.