Who races a WR?

18 replies to this topic
  • C-P

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Before I bite the bullet and go pick up my '07 this weekend, just wanted to hear from folks here that race your WR's...what type of racing (HS, Enduro, etc), how well suited you think the bike is (uncorked of course), etc. I currently have a '98 with revalved/resprung Pro Action suspension that I've learned to manhandle pretty good, but is a tank nonetheless. Have done a few Hare Scrambles and plan on doing quite a few more. Thanks!

• redswr

Posted December 06, 2007 - 12:38 AM

i've raced both WORCS races and Grand Prixs on both my 99 and my 07... the 07 is alot funner to race because it is alot easier to handle. deffinatly get the suspinsion done and the free mods because to tell you the truth... i thought the bike sucked from factory in the power department and the front end would always bottom over 30ft+ jumps.

• fitzy

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:23 AM

As above, Front end sucks and you will go close to breaking your wrists if to aggressive and it blows through the stroke, rear is not so bad but can be better. Power wise, uncorked it is fast, Low seat height and good balance are it';s best points, turns well when set up. refer to the manual for sag!!! measurement if comming from another model. I got caught:banghead:
Turns well and jumps well. Try to slim of some weight, and go. A yz header and muffler are a good addition, more mid to top with the YZ header, ad the muffler and it will pull harder of the bottom as well. You will be able to ride a gear higher and grunt it like a honda 450x only with more control, as the Honda is brutal of the bottom. Hope this helps:excuseme:

• WGP

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have raced my 05WR for 2 years doing Hare Scrambles and Desert....

I have all the goodies including revalved suspension........

It hauls butt and the e-start is a huge plus...BUT the suspension sucks!! It will beat the crap out of you going through big whoops and jumps...even when revalved.

I switched to a YZ with real racing suspension.
If the Yamaha ever put the SS forks and shock on the WR it will be very competitive.

If you race in C or mid B class you will be fine...the trouble starts when you really start hitting things at speed...

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 06, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I've raced WR's for 3 years now, and will be racing one more season in 08'. Mostly harescrambles and GP's, my 04' had a power bomb w/FMF Q and suspension was resprung for my weight. My 07' has free mods only + GYTR end cap and again suspension has been re-sprung for my weight.

No doubt, suspension is the achilles heal of the WR when using it for competition but the forks have been around for years and the right tuner with some $ can make them work fairly well.

I just sewed up my Class Championship for 07', I race 40+ A class in the long course (2.5 - 3 hours). In the tight technical harescrambles I always wish I had a lighter bike...:thumbsup: In the GP's and more open harescrambles the bike hangs with any 450 out there. It's a capable bike but an A level rider will outride the stock suspension....

I love my WR and proudly put it on the podium above the KTM's and YZ's :busted:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:18 PM

I am a C class rider and race my 05 wr450. I do enduros, hare n hounds or any longer more technical race. I am in the California desert though. So its sand and rocks instead of mud and trees.

Yes the wr is heavy. But I've learned to relax and let the bike do more of the work. As I get better, I stop trying to muscle it around and try to make better decisions so I don't need to. It hard to do that sometimes, but I work at it.

I have my bike respung and valved for my weight (235lb riding weight). It helps quite a bit. I also moved the forks up in the clamp. It makes it turn a little bit quicker. I am not too worried about high end stability because I am not the fast.

Race the WR. Its a good bike. Knowing what I know now, I'd race a wide ratio ktm two stroke because of the hydraulic clutch and extremely low weight. But I would want the WR for riding in the open spaces.

If you can only have one bike though, get the WR, get it plated, and ride, ride, ride...

• dirtrider115

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Mine works great,do the free mods, a little better silencer but not loud,jet it right and send off your suspension before anything.You dont need to over mod it, keep it simple and it wont let you down,awsome bikes and bullit proof if you do simple maintence.

• woodswr

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I have a 07 Wr 250 and race harescrambles in the C class. I love mine and I think it rides and handles great, but I'm not that fast.If you are a faster rider it will need some work. I also put the YZF pipe and muffler on mine and it seem sto wok great!:thumbsup:

• C-P

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for all the replies...yeah, should have mentioned I'm C Vet in Harescrambles, so I won't be outriding the bike's design limits anytime soon. But sounds like I'll be stopping down to see my Pro Action guy earlier than later.
Or, would it make sense to look for YZ forks/shock a year or two old? Anyone do that kind of thing?

Thanks again!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted December 07, 2007 - 11:38 AM

I love my WR and proudly put it on the podium above the KTM's and YZ's :thumbsup:

You sure did, dammit! :busted: :busted:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 07, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies...yeah, should have mentioned I'm C Vet in Harescrambles, so I won't be outriding the bike's design limits anytime soon. But sounds like I'll be stopping down to see my Pro Action guy earlier than later.
Or, would it make sense to look for YZ forks/shock a year or two old? Anyone do that kind of thing?

Thanks again!

Nope... just start with the proper springs and fork oil. Its $200 to do that.

• C-P

Posted December 08, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Well, just picked up the '07 this AM...-10 degrees F here in MN! Straight to the garage, I won't even hear it run for a month or two. Plenty of time to do the free mods, pull forks and shock, regrease here and there and you name it.

But every time I get in or out of the car, there she'll sit, thinking Spring!

• bg10459

Posted December 09, 2007 - 08:30 AM

Well, just picked up the '07 this AM...-10 degrees F here in MN! Straight to the garage, I won't even hear it run for a month or two. Plenty of time to do the free mods, pull forks and shock, regrease here and there and you name it.

But every time I get in or out of the car, there she'll sit, thinking Spring!

Richen the jetting (you'll need to get familiar with jetting anyway) and ride that thing in the snow.

• slatejake

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:41 AM

So far i have raced mine in Harescrambles, Motocross, and arenacross. I love the stock gearing for it all. I will be racing supercross as soon as the season opens up. The only thing that ive noticed is serious suspension work needs to be done for motocross; and probably supercross to. Hope that helps ya out. But overall i love it for racing.

• WRSJ

Posted April 01, 2009 - 12:05 PM

hell the fist 1hr on my 09 I found my self in a enduro, loud her up with 20lb of mud and had a grat races.

• DrzDasher

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:09 PM

I race mine in d38 desert races and that bike is revalved and sprung(04) for fat ass. That bike is faster than I am, at least for long distances. Cheap, fun, esart, and has never let me down, except when the bars broke. Love that bike but I think when I get my arm back I will race my 525 ith the 610 kit in it. Good luck those headlights sure are sexy.

• C-P

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:43 PM

Wow, funny - I started this post almost a year and a half ago...good to see it come back!

I did 4 harescrambles and 1 enduro last year with the new WR, along with about 1000 miles all on stock suspension. Definitely heavy at times, but there's a lot to be said for learning how to ride and handle the thing. There's plenty of power there, just know when to use it!

I'm pulling the forks and shocks tomorrow for a revalve, and I'm pretty psyched to see the improvement. I just read DR's latest off-road shootout, they spoke very highly of the WR they tested after a revalving. Not that their opinion is crititical to what I do, but it's good to see some realistic comparisons...as many say, the WR is a great platform to build on.

Did someone say they're going to SX a WR here? I wanna see pics!

In fact, let's get some WR race pics going here...for starters, here's me looking real serious about a log at the Moose Run enduro here in MN:

Posted Image

• tribalbc

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:07 PM

Race my 07 in the BC hare scramble and cros country series

Keepng her pinned and floating through the swamp

Posted Image

Through the logging slash

Posted Image

In the burn

Posted Image

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:15 PM

i race my 05 in desert races and scrambels and i have done the uncorking, jetting, dampner, and bar set-up and esp suspention and all the other little things and i can say i have never had a problem other than flats. i never find myself having to manhandle it at all. i have found myself on the podium quite a few times as well!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.