170s main jet

12 replies to this topic
  • naldz006

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:44 PM

hey guys,
just changing the jets on my 650r. Going by the jetting page on the 'pig pen' a 170 main will be about spot on for me. I have a 170s jet that came with my wr. Is this likely to be any better or worse than the normal 170 jet?

cheers.

• Maroast

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:46 PM

hey guys,
just changing the jets on my 650r. Going by the jetting page on the 'pig pen' a 170 main will be about spot on for me. I have a 170s jet that came with my wr. Is this likely to be any better or worse than the normal 170 jet?

cheers.

Hu, something seems a little funky here. So your WR has a keihin PE carb?

I have never heard or seen (i did a brief google search, and keihins website) of a main jet with a "s" designation... you have a hex main jet with an "s" stamped on it? doesn't make much sense.

Are you sure your not confusing the pilot with the main? there is such a thing a s a 70 pilot and a 70S pilot. Go back and double check...pull the main out of the XR and compare it to that 170s main (<--if thats what you reall have)

let us know what you find

• naldz006

Posted December 06, 2007 - 12:56 AM

yeah i know it sounds odd. this is a pic of the jet. i'm guessing it will fit, ill put it in when i get a chance.

Posted Image

• EddieTNT

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:14 AM

yeah i know it sounds odd. this is a pic of the jet. i'm guessing it will fit, ill put it in when i get a chance.

Posted Image

That jet will definately fit your XRR carb. I have never heard of a 170S main jet. There are pilot jets for that carb that have an "S" designation after them, but I've never seen a main like that.

It isn't just the PE that uses that style of main jet. I know for sure that the PJ (2 stroke) and the PWK (2 stroke) also use the same mains. I am sure there are other model that do also. The float assembly from the PJs and PWKs also will fit the PE perfectly. My 650R's PE carb has a PJ float in it right now.

• HawkGT

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:52 AM

I've encountered S main jets. They've all been the stock main jets in Yamahas. As far as I can tell, Yamaha specs a main jet designated with S (i.e. "stock" ??) on some (all?) of their bikes. I believe they are identical to normally stamped main jets.

• KAS

Posted December 06, 2007 - 12:17 PM

The 170S will work fine. All Yamaha stock main jets I've seen are stamped with an "S".

Its the same as a "normal" 170.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • naldz006

Posted December 07, 2007 - 02:40 AM

yeh i put that jet in and its running better now. dont know what the old jet was.... had no markings on it.....bit dodgey. the bike still crackles a little bit under decelleration but it is better than it was. I might try a 172 main in it when i get a chance. it does 180kph now and still pulling a bit. pretty impressed really. hangs with the wr till 100 then keeps pulling. wish they still sold them over here so i could have got a new one.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:31 AM

hey guys,

cheers.

An "S" jet is a half step larger than the jet of the same number without the "S". i.e. A 170S jet is a half step between a 170 & a 172.

I have never tried a "S" main jet, but either a 68S pilot, or 70S pilot is a must have in the 650R in my opinion. an S pilot jet will wake the low-mid range up and produce a major power difference.

my 650r has a stock engine, all the HRC un-corking parts, a cut out airbox cover, and a twin-air power-flow kit. I ride at elevations ranging between 5000-10000 ft. my current jetting is a 170 main, a 70S pilot jet, and the HRC needle set to the 4th notch from the top. I have played with many different jet combos over the last 4 years I've owned the bike. This set-up, at least for me, is by far the most power through the entire power-band.

P.S. Once I set up to this jet combo, I do not get de-acceleration pops any more at all.

• HawkGT

Posted December 07, 2007 - 10:36 AM

An "S" jet is a half step larger than the jet of the same number without the "S". i.e. A 170S jet is a half step between a 170 & a 172...

I understand that the S pilot jets available from Honda have smaller emulsification holes which essentially reduce the size of the pilot air jet orifice. This in turn creates conditions that make an S pilot jet behave like a slightly larger jet then it's fuel metering hole would suggest.

Are you then inferring that an S main jet must also behave slightly larger than non-S main jets? Or have you actually compared the size of the fuel metering hole--S to non-S--and discovered the S is actually larger?? I checked my jets to try and make that comparison myself but I don't have a non-S 158 to compare to the 158S that I have.

I suppose I'm just a little skeptical that the difference between an S and non-S pilot jets supplied by Honda for the XR650R means the same thing for S main jets.

• usarfire

Posted December 10, 2007 - 08:43 PM

I just put a 170 main in my xr600 96 and it goes like a rocket but had to go 4 turns out to get it to stop popping on deceleration. Going to work on the pilot jet tommorrow

• Billahjack

Posted December 10, 2007 - 11:50 PM

A 170 Main sounds small on an uncorked XR unless you are at fairly high altitude.

• weskc35k

Posted December 11, 2007 - 01:05 AM

A small amount of popping on decel is a good thing,if it doesn't it's too rich.
When the throttle is chopped and the slide closed this when the bike should burble a bit.

• KAS

Posted December 11, 2007 - 07:32 AM

I just put a 170 main in my xr600 96 and it goes like a rocket but had to go 4 turns out to get it to stop popping on deceleration. Going to work on the pilot jet tommorrow

You should probably run a larger pilot if you're 4 turns out on the fuel screw.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.