19" rear for my XR650R?

3 replies to this topic
  • haggeo

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:32 PM

good or not so good? i have a shot at a new set of wheels for $500 but wonder if running a 19" will work. i have a lowering link on the bike installed by the PO so i don't know how that would affect handling.

• Thumpage

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Complete wheels and hubs?

If the hubs are included you need to be sure they are XR650R hubs if you expected to use the whole wheel assembly on your 650R.
But regardless, a 19" rear wheel would not be a very good idea. They will be prone to getting dented, especially with the weight of the XR650R. There is just not enough tire carcuss to absorb rock hits and other off road nasties on a 19" wheel. That is why offroad oriented bikes use 18" wheels. Now, light MX bikes converted to offroad steeds can get away with this a little more to some extent because they are much lighter. But they usually need or should have the valving softened up a little too also help absorb offroad hits and lessen the occurance of dented wheels. It is still best to end up going with a 18" rear wheel for offroad use though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtrider115

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't go there if it was me.My bikes with 19's were always flat prone offroad, ruined a lot of good rides.

• haggeo

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:14 AM

Complete wheels and hubs?

If the hubs are included you need to be sure they are XR650R hubs if you expected to use the whole wheel assembly on your 650R.
But regardless, a 19" rear wheel would not be a very good idea. They will be prone to getting dented, especially with the weight of the XR650R. There is just not enough tire carcuss to absorb rock hits and other off road nasties on a 19" wheel. That is why offroad oriented bikes use 18" wheels. Now, light MX bikes converted to offroad steeds can get away with this a little more to some extent because they are much lighter. But they usually need or should have the valving softened up a little too also help absorb offroad hits and lessen the occurance of dented wheels. It is still best to end up going with a 18" rear wheel for offroad use though.

thanks. this is the kind of specific info i was looking for. i never thought about the carcass size relative to the rim, makes sense.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.