06 450 crankcase crack

12 replies to this topic
  • SawDustMan

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Have an 06 with a cracked right case. For some reason you have to buy the set of left and right from all the places I have checked. Why? Are they machined to match? Could I get a used right off ebay and use it with my good left side?
Thanks,
Cy

• tnl

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:25 PM

Do a search on your question.

• todds924

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Have an 06 with a cracked right case. For some reason you have to buy the set of left and right from all the places I have checked. Why? Are they machined to match? Could I get a used right off ebay and use it with my good left side?
Thanks,
Cy

They are machined as a set.

• SawDustMan

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Thank you todds924, I suspected as much but hoped it wasn't true.
tnl, which is harder, replying with a quick answer or replying to tell me to search?
Cy
PS I did search through about 5 pages about crankcase problems without finding the answer. Only questions about welding cracked cases.

• todds924

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Thank you todds924, I suspected as much but hoped it wasn't true.
tnl, which is harder, replying with a quick answer or replying to tell me to search?
Cy
PS I did search through about 5 pages about crankcase problems without finding the answer. Only questions about welding cracked cases.

He didn't know the answer.

• tnl

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Cy

Now that I have more time to help (I hope) here is my search from "cracked case: http://www.thumperta...015#post5536015 Review master Gray's comment (2nd post). There's alot of great info. in there from Gray and others at my expense :thumbsup:

He didn't know the answer.

Unfortunatley I did and it's gonna cost me about $1900 with labor :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:19 PM

To elaborate, crankcases are made in two steps. The center joint and the threaded holes used to bolt them together are done first (other operations may be done concurrently), but none of the shaft bores are cut. Then, the cases are bolted together and the bores for the shafts that run through both cases are bored while the cases are mounted in the same jig fixture. This ensures that the axis of all the bearing pockets are square with each other from one side to the other, and each is parallel to the other shafts.

With modern machining techniques, it would actually be possible to precisely do this job one case at time, but it is still far simpler to line bore them as a set.

• SawDustMan

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:28 AM

Thank you, one more question.
The yamaha owners manuals I have had in the past (02 426) went though a complete teardown of the motor. Is that still the case or do they now have a separate service manual?
Thanks,
Cy

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Both. The owner's manual is still a decent shop manual, but they do have a better one yet for the shops.

You can download one here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

• srfdwg2

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:13 PM

What are you wanting to spend on engine cases for 06/07?

• srfdwg2

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:16 PM

p.s. how are these people cracking the cases?Derailed chain,or snapped chain?

• SawDustMan

Posted December 06, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I this one broke around the oil drain bolt. Looks like it was hit by something.

• tnl

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:23 PM

p.s. how are these people cracking the cases?Derailed chain,or snapped chain?

Masterlink came off on mine. Just got a final settlement from insurance today for $1900.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.